Lamb stew with celeriac, parsnip and salsify. It is still definitely winter in London...

Also had a nice dish of lamb's kidneys with morels - 2nd week they've had them at Borough Market, a sign of spring in Turkey at least - the other night, never tried that combo before but I thought it worked very well, an earthiness to them both.

• Replies 22.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Judy Rodgers's Zuni Winter Chicken -- rubbed with salt, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg and let sit in the fridge for a day before cooking -- plus roasted potatoes, turnips, carrots, parsnips, and chestnuts coated with duck fat and the same spice mix. Red, white, and green leaves dressed with olive oil, thyme and white balsamic vinegars. Martha Clara (North Fork Long Island) sparkling wine.

Judy Rodgers's Zuni Winter Chicken -- rubbed with salt, sugar, cinnamon, allspice, clove, and nutmeg and let sit in the fridge for a day before cooking

Suzanne, I've never seen this recipe before! It's not in the Zuni Cafe Cookbook is it? This sounds lovely, how was it?

(of course, it's roast chicken, you knew this had to catch my eye ;) )

I made another pizza and it came out pretty nicely. ;) Not perfect, mind you, but not too shabby. Crust still a little tough. Topped it with roasted asparagus, a little fontina, some mozzarella and basil, a sprinkle of red pepper flakes. Ate it with a salad of baby romaine and drank some falanghina.

I'm not moving around much, so Eyebrows made dinner: Trader Joe's pre-rubbed rack of lamb (very good!), boiled tiny potatoes with garlic and butter, steamed spinach with garlic. Iceberg salad with vinaigrette. Swiss chocolates for dessert.

That TJ's lamb is great - my sister and bro-in-law make it for the kids all the time - comes in a vac pack, all set to go - you just put the rack in the oven at 350 for 25 mins, and voila. Really quite good.

That TJ's lamb is great - my sister and bro-in-law make it for the kids all the time - comes in a vac pack, all set to go - you just put the rack in the oven at 350 for 25 mins, and voila. Really quite good.

You said "TJs"!!!!!

Adria's "gin fizz" (lemon/sugar/gin granita under hot foam of egg whites and more lemon, syrup and gin). I want these every night.

Risotto primavera.

Lemon tart.

so the iSi is working out fine I see. Fun.

did you actually have it para el dia like Adrià recommended? ;)

Diana Kennedy's chilaquiles Veracuzanos with refried RG Flor du Junio beans. The former is basically tortilla chips cooked in a ancho/tomato sauce with chicken. Very tasty. The beans are beans raised to another level by their quality.

I am currently leaning heavily away from Bayless and towards Kennedy. Both produce great results but Kennedy's recipes are a lot simpler.

We did a Franny's-inspired dinner: linguine with the clam sauce they put on their pizza, along with their Brussels sprouts preparation (roasted with olive oil, tossed with lemon juice, covered with Pecorino Toscano - should have had roasted walnuts, too, but we were out). Followed by a radicchio and parsley salad and some Humbolt Fog, then roasted pears and ice cream and a not very good cream cheese and chocolate brownie from Margaret Palca. I've yet to be impressed by the baked goods from there.

G., it's an interesting observation - i should really check Kennedy's out...

we also had a small mexican dinner tonight - ideas coming from Zarela, recipes from Poore (1000 Mexican book);

appetizers:

guacamole;

chipotle/tomato salsa;

roasted tomatillos/pumpkin seeds salsa;

two kinds of corn tortilla chips;

main:

carnitas;

frijoles charros (RG's yeallow indian woman beans, in Negro Modelo, fashioned ala RG - with roasted cremini and maple bacon);

mango salsa with seville oranges and fresno peppers;

grilled fat scallions;

creme fraiche;

tortillas;

accompanied with many beers, mostly microbrewed lagers including Rogue's and Wachusett's Quinn's, both Irish style for apparent reason.

dessert:

carrot cake;

creme fraiche;

jasmine tea, freshly brewed by the master of the house, from buds he just brought back from China.