• Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

More mindless cooking: risotto from 1/2 a small Indian onion sauted in olive oil, carnaroli rice added, leftover red wine added, stock from a couple of spoonfuls of concentrated, jellied beef stock added to water, remains of meat ragu. Parmesan to finish.

v

Two lovely fat chunks of cod, seared then roasted. Tahini-garlic sauce. Saffron rice (cardamom, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, currants added). Chickpea salad (lots of cucumber, mint and coriander, some chilli, more garlic and red onion).

All quite good, all adapted from the Moro book.

Greek yoghurt with Christine Ferber cherry jam with mint.

clb

More mindless cooking: risotto from 1/2 a small Indian onion sauted in olive oil, carnaroli rice added, leftover red wine added, stock from a couple of spoonfuls of concentrated, jellied beef stock added to water, remains of meat ragu. Parmesan to finish.

v

You do make me laugh. Sounds okay. My plan right now is to see if there's any meatloaf left in the refrigerator. :rolleyes:

After fruitless wandering through Wegmans, i ended up buying ciabbata, Palacios spicy chorizo and avocado... this was the dinner, quite appreciated by one of the cats who is known for her weakness to avocado.

Good news: Wegmans fish person promised me shad roe for tomorrow :)

Seaweed broth with yuzu.

For table-top electric grills:

Slices of strip loin, marinated in garlic, s&p, awabi shoyu, chile oil.

Giant shrimp, peeled except for tail, marinated in s&p, chile oil.

Sea scallops, s&p, tiny bit of sesame oil.

Thick salted daikon rounds.

Cremini mushrooms marinated in awabi shoyu, s&p.

Fresh tortillas.

Mounds of slivered scallions, piles of coriander leaf.

Dipping sauces:

Fresh wasabi mayo, Dijon with horseradish, shoyu and wasabi, shoyu and lime.

Cabbage kimchi, daikon kimchi, scallion kimchi, green bean kimchi, gari (pickled ginger), pickled mustard greens.

Gohan.

Came up with this "on the fly" last night for dinner:

Seafood cakes garnished with a citrus radish slaw

Scallops, crab, lemongrass, an egg, panko, sambal olek, tamari. Shallow fried. Garnished with thin slices of radish, orange segments, green onion, kaffir lime leaves, and minced fresh anchovies (dressed with olive oil and lemon juice).

Yummy!

Tuna Tacos.

Fresh, diced raw tuna. Fresh tomato salsa. Served with a cool salad of watermelon, lemon grass, green onion, daikon, thai chili, yuzu, drop of sesame oil.

Clean flavours. I really enjoyed it.

Wednesday night made a lovely roasted vegetable broth, thank you helena for the suggestion, and with it last night a soup: one roasted onion, one roasted red pepper, a quarter of a small red cabbage and some fresh spring peas. Added a chopped tomato, creme fraiche then toasted almonds and a dollop of freshly pounded pesto.

2001 Jamek Riesling gorgeous as well. Thank you SFJoe for that suggestion.

More cod (someone bought it for me from Swiss Cottage Farmers' Market and they bought a lot). Spinach. Borlotti beans cooked with garlic and bay leaves.

Then more yoghurt with cherry jam.

All made and eaten in the midst of making a madeira cake for the younger child's birthday (she doesn't like icing or what she calls "cham", which counts out the usual Vic. sponge) and some shortbread hearts. Latter a total failure: recipe didn't specify the need to keep the mixture cold before putting it in the oven :angry: . I don't make biscuits often enough to remember. :(

clb

Guest johnboy

Take-away from a Sri Lankan place just round the corner from us. First time we have tried it, very good and very cheap (also, we were the only white people in there!). Beef curry; big chunks of very tender meat in a quite spicy sauce, chicken curry; again no scrimping on the meat, sauce much milder than the beef but a welcome relief from the heat, bombay potatos and lemon rice (yeah, carb hell I know, but Atkins can kiss my ass!), lamb roti; we brought two but could only eat one between us as we were pretty full, and some lamb rolls; kinda like the lamb rotis but thinner, longer, breaded and fried (looke disturbingly like a Findus crispy pancake!) tasty but very, very hot. A few poppadoms thrown in as well (no charge), £15 the lot. Bargin!

And we have left overs for dinner tonight as well. Double bargin!