Take-away from a Sri Lankan place just round the corner from us. First time we have tried it, very good and very cheap (also, we were the only white people in there!). Beef curry; big chunks of very tender meat in a quite spicy sauce, chicken curry; again no scrimping on the meat, sauce much milder than the beef but a welcome relief from the heat, bombay potatos and lemon rice (yeah, carb hell I know, but Atkins can kiss my ass!), lamb roti; we brought two but could only eat one between us as we were pretty full, and some lamb rolls; kinda like the lamb rotis but thinner, longer, breaded and fried (looke disturbingly like a Findus crispy pancake!) tasty but very, very hot. A few poppadoms thrown in as well (no charge), £15 the lot. Bargin!

And we have left overs for dinner tonight as well. Double bargin!

Is that the one in Time Out that looked really good? Do they do eat in? If so, can we have an MF trip to Lewisham?

v

• Replies 22.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Guest johnboy

No idea. It was called Himalaya and it does do eat in (think New Tayyab, but smaller!). Is this the one that Time Out was talking about?

There is also the Taste of Eelam up on the high street that David and I want to try sometime soon, will get back with a full report.

No idea. It was called Himalaya and it does do eat in (think New Tayyab, but smaller!). Is this the one that Time Out was talking about?

There is also the Taste of Eelam up on the high street that David and I want to try sometime soon, will get back with a full report.

Himalaya? Sri Lankan? :blink:

I'll check the book at home this evening.

v

A Proper newe Booke of Cokerye (mid-16th c.)

From:-- Text: Frere, Catherine Frances (ed.): A proper newe booke of cokerye. With notes, introduction and glossary; together with some account of domestic life, cookery and feasts in Tudor days, and of the first owner of the book, Matthew Parker, Archbishop of Canterbury, and Margaret Parker his wife.

To bake chekins in lyke paest.

Take youre chekins and ceason them with

a lytle Ginger and salte, and so putte

them into your coffin and so put in them

barberies, grapes or goose beryes, and half a

dyshe of butter, so cloose them up, and

sette them in the ouen and when they are

baken, take the yolkes of syxe egges and a

dyshfull of vergis and drawe them through a

streyner and sette it upon a chafingdyshe,

than drawe youre baken chekins and put ther

to this foresayde egges and vergys and thus

serve them hoate.

My version.

Sauted some leeks (not in this recipe version) until wilted, put into pie dish, cut up chicken and browned them. Put these into pie dish. seasoned with salt pepper, butter, mace, powdered ginger, sliced ginger in syrup (without syrup) and barberries. Cover dish with foil and bake at 180.C for one hour, twenty minutes. Removed chicken pieces, strain juices, add solids to chicken. Place chicken and bits back in pie dish, top with puff pastry, bake at 220.C until done. For the sauce add three egg yolks to broth, plus verjuice to taste whisk well together in a double boiler, until sauce thickens. It is basically an Avgolemono sauce with the lemon juice replaced by verjuice (consistancy of hollandaise sauce). Take off pastry lid, pour over sauce, cut pastry into attractive sections etc and serve.

Sauce is delicious.

Scrounging through the fridge for ingredients last night we came up with the makings for

Chicken Soup - I had done the 24 hour chicken soup recipe over the weekend. I took the soup, warmed it up, added some fish sauce, chopped red chilli, chopped celery, and dried shitake mushrooms.

Ham/Egg cups on salad - I took the large slices of black forest ham and pushed them into a cup shape in my muffin tin, sauteed some chopped mushrooms and shallots in butter, stirred in some creme fraiche and thyme. Poured a little of that stuff in each of the ham "cups" cracked an egg on top of each and put in the oven until the whites were cooked but yolks still runny.

Those ham cups are very pretty when taken out of the muffin tin, its from a recipe that gourmet published a long time ago.

Guest johnboy

Actually it wasn't called Himalaya at all, it was called Everest! Doh!

(Hothouse) plum tomato halves scooped and filled with taramasalata garnished with chives.

Roasted yellow pepper broth.

Pasticchio (from the ziti dish made on Tuesday [i often make enough pasta to have adequate leftovers for this]) with parmesan curls and chunky bread crumbs, browned nicely, cut into a square, topped with an over easy fried egg. Served with sauteed spinach.

Salumi and pecorino, small crostini.

Took left over egg salad from the boys' lunch, added a litle dijon, rubbed raw garlic over yesterday's baguette and broiled it witha touch of olive oil, spread the egg salad atop, sprinkled with crispy (microwaved) pancetta, covered the whole thing witha layer of wilted spinach leaves and there it was - a nice sandwich. With it a salad of cucumber , plum tomatoes, mint and cilantro sprinkled with olive oil, lemon juice. Had a few pear halves poaching in a cheap Johannesberg Rieseling during dinner. Topped them with vanilla bean gellato and mint sprigs.

My husband took my temperature.