Thank You, Slapsie for the Methi recipe and Daniel for the video.

Due to the unavailability of the Fenugreek and some other essential ingredients I could not obtain due to time constraints (and laziness) I decided to attempt a bastardized version. I shouldn’t even say “a version” as Daniel informed me my dish has really nothing to do with Methi as no Fenugreek was used (Thanks buddy :cool: ).

In the end the dish was similar to that shown in the You Tube video while incorping a few of Slapie’s ingredients. Reminded me more of a Saag. (I do plan on executing the recipe as intended just as soon as I can get to Patel Bros or similar)

Anyway, I sautéed onion, tomato, garlic, half a can red curry paste, several dry spices at different intervels including cumin, basil, oregano, garlic salt, pepper, sugar, curry massala and cinnamon. A couple mins later a head of chopped baby spinach. A couple minutes later 2 cups of yogurt mixed with water and then 12 chicken thighs. I let it simmer for about an hour then another 30min uncovered to reduce a bit. It came out pretty good. I would have preferred more of a tomato yogurt profile but the flavors cooked out a bit.

These pics are pretty horrible (from a Blackberry and plating was a mess) but you get the idea:

5343248291_102f03a14d.jpg

5343302693_f2414523d3.jpg

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Looks good brother, in all seriousness....

I was brainstorming and figured that there might be some other fun names you could call this dish.. And now that the name doesn't have to include any of the actual ingredients, you can have a lot of fun with it.

You could call the dish:

1.Caviar and Pickle Chicken

2.Orange Juice and Potato Chicken

Finally

3.Asian pear and guacamole chicken would work very nicely..

Haha.. Just kidding, glad you learned how to post photos..

Now, you have to post more..

Reminded me more of a Saag

probably because that is what you made.

Maybe. I would probably go with chicken curry w/spinach. When I think of saag it’s much more dense with spinach like a puree. This wasn’t that spinachy.

sorry I was being obtuse and snarky - Saag means greens in hindi.

I was all set to make baked delicata squash stuffed with shredded jerk duck -- but Paul got all nervous about getting to DC by train tomorrow morning, so he went tonight instead. Hope he doesn't get stuck now; the sandwich I made for him to bring isn't really enough for hours on a freezing train. :rolleyes: Well, I gave him an apple, too.

And I'll just do the squash thing on Thursday.

Had some fish last night, then some more fish, then some shnitzel, then some spaetzle because the person I made shnitzel for was expecting spaetzle.. there might have been some alcohol involved..

grilled mackeral.

5348658993_7092920b51_z.jpg

Fish soup... here is some monkfish spines i had in the freezer and the body of porgy..

5349265980_4bb67bc737_z.jpg

Soup with mussels and calamari and the filets of porgy..

5349268604_6d1fdea035_z.jpg

Miss K had a pomodoro pasta with some buffala mozzarella..

5349267234_7a3c528d0d_z.jpg

Then we had some schnitzel with demi glace and buttermilk lemon sauce, with collards that were cut in a chifonnade.. then came the spaetzel.. basic with a little all spice, clove, and nutmeg in the mixture...

I'm counting: that's the second use for the buttermilk lemon sauce, yes? First was on fish. So now I'm intrigued: what is in that sauce, please? If it's that versatile, I want to know. Sounds like a good way to use excess buttermilk.

The sauce is very simple and delicious.. It was funny because last night, as I was making a pan sauce for the schnitzel, Miss A was heating up the butter milk sauce on the stove.. So, I just threw a few spoon fulls of her sauce into my sauce. My sauce was a pan sauce that came from deglazing the pan with shallots, a little vino and then adding demi glace and the collards... Went really well with the spaetzle and collars too... But yeh, the best part of having a kitchen again is the things that are created by just having things laying around..

Miss A's buttermilk sauce goes something like this.. Buttermilk, lemon juice, zest, butter, wine, and then whizz with a stick blender salt and sugar to taste..

For the past 10 days or so, not counting the weekend, I've been engaged in a freezer clear-out. I had to discard a couple of unidentifiable frozen objects, but was able to use almost everything else, although two meals consisted of brisket sandwiches and almost everything else was some kind of beef preparation. Tonight is the last of the bounty. There were two hamburgers (raw) that I'm defrosting to use as the base for sauce Bolognese to be served over strozzopreti, which I'm still trying to perfect. Today's dough will be one whole egg and one egg yolk to one cup of flour and maybe a spoonful or two of water, if necessary. I was amazed at the capacity of the freezer, especially since I keep my ice cream canister in it at all time, as well as several blue picnic ice packs.

For the past 10 days or so, not counting the weekend, I've been engaged in a freezer clear-out. I had to discard a couple of unidentifiable frozen objects, but was able to use almost everything else, although two meals consisted of brisket sandwiches and almost everything else was some kind of beef preparation. Tonight is the last of the bounty. There were two hamburgers (raw) that I'm defrosting to use as the base for sauce Bolognese to be served over strozzopreti, which I'm still trying to perfect. Today's dough will be one whole egg and one egg yolk to one cup of flour and maybe a spoonful or two of water, if necessary. I was amazed at the capacity of the freezer, especially since I keep my ice cream canister in it at all time, as well as several blue picnic ice packs.

I think you will get a kick out of watching this woman bang out strozzapretti... Though I just bought this expensive pasta attachment and have a couple of other rolling machines, I have been rolling my own recently.. Cooking is the one area in my life where I enjoy doing things the long way.