This week's theme has been poultry:

Monday: leftover roast chicken (brought home from Benoit) plus a freshly roasted chicken back; reheated french fries (crisper and therefore better than the first time around); salad

Do you reheat your french fries by pan frying with a little oil? So far that's the best way I've found to reheat fries (even KFC and McD's fries taste better that way), but am looking for ways to cut calories. Of course, I could just stop eating french fries. . .

• Replies 20.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Working my way through some Indian recipes from a not very good book - an experiment in seeing what works and what doesn't. The night before last I turned my kitchen into a post-hurricane site with a

Ta. I must give this a try.

Thank you thank you. But doesn't everyone look better wearing a bath mat?

Posted Images

Monday: leftover roast chicken (brought home from Benoit) plus a freshly roasted chicken back; reheated french fries (crisper and therefore better than the first time around); salad

Do you reheat your french fries by pan frying with a little oil? So far that's the best way I've found to reheat fries (even KFC and McD's fries taste better that way), but am looking for ways to cut calories. Of course, I could just stop eating french fries. . .

i find that a hot oven does a nice job. single layer on parchment paper. if you don't have parchment, the baking sheet should be pre-heated

i find that a hot oven does a nice job. single layer on parchment paper. if you don't have parchment, the baking sheet should be pre-heated

Similarly to Splinky, I spread them out on a baking pan and reheat them in the toaster oven at 400F or so, turning them over once or twice. Usually I don't add any extra fat, although this last time I drizzled them with the fat from the chicken back that I roasted. :blush: But then I often drain them on paper towels to blot up any residual oil. We like them really crisp and well browned, so this makes them better than the original.

thanks! Will try the toaster oven method, and I have lots of parchment (hope it doesn't catch fire in the toaster oven) to line the pan with! Maybe I'll try it with the leftover fried chicken skin from dinner, too. Some pieces were a little flabby in the middle, and I want them crispy crispy crispy! (So much for cutting calories. . .)

More recipes

Just about everyone who offered up an opinion on what should be in a lobster roll offered up a different one. Some had mayo, others celery. Some had tarragon or dill, others just used melted butter.

In the end, I decided just to make one how the hell I fancied it, so made a dill mayonnaise with a stick blender and tossed the lobster tail meat in that with some finely diced celery.

5420498020_7c0e893fd7_z.jpg

P2050683 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

thanks! Will try the toaster oven method, and I have lots of parchment (hope it doesn't catch fire in the toaster oven) to line the pan with! Maybe I'll try it with the leftover fried chicken skin from dinner, too. Some pieces were a little flabby in the middle, and I want them crispy crispy crispy! (So much for cutting calories. . .)

I don't use parchment in the toaster oven -- I'm concerned that the more concentrated heat might set it afire. I just toss the fries in a paper towel-lined bowl when they're done. But if you are willing to be the test case, let us know what happened (assuming you don't burn down your house :lol: ).

More recipes

Just about everyone who offered up an opinion on what should be in a lobster roll offered up a different one. Some had mayo, others celery. Some had tarragon or dill, others just used melted butter.

In the end, I decided just to make one how the hell I fancied it, so made a dill mayonnaise with a stick blender and tossed the lobster tail meat in that with some finely diced celery.

5420498020_7c0e893fd7_z.jpg

P2050683 by Dos Hermanos, on Flickr

Slapsie

Too much mayo! ;) But looks luscious.

That looks good. I hope you de-stringed the celery.

Yesterday was my first attempt at making cassoulet. I started with a recipe from Saveur, then tinkered it with what I could get in my neighborhood. (It was sort of a spur-of-the-moment decision to make.) I already had duck confit and andouille sausage, so I bought ham hocks, double-smoked bacon, and smoked pork loin at the local Balkan market to round out the meat. I substituted Greek gigante beans for flageolets. Seven hours of prep/stewing/baking time later.....not a bad first effort. It was on the dry side; not enough liquid first of all, and the recipe called for it to bake uncovered but I should have covered it with foil from the get-go rather than 90 minutes in. Still, it tasted good, and since a little goes a long way we now have several meals' worth.

Dinner last night was TK roast chicken (which I had picked up at Thundering Hooves in morning), mashed German butterball potatoes from the farmers market and a big green salad with home made blue cheese dressing.

Tonight we're having ragu with home made rigatoni (inspired by this weeks Top Chef). It's my first time using the KA pasta extruder attachment. Wish me luck!

Dinner last night was TK roast chicken (which I had picked up at Thundering Hooves in morning), mashed German butterball potatoes from the farmers market and a big green salad with home made blue cheese dressing.

Tonight we're having ragu with home made rigatoni (inspired by this weeks Top Chef). It's my first time using the KA pasta extruder attachment. Wish me luck!

Please report back on how it went. I've had that attachment forever but never tried using it. :blush: Which pasta recipe are you using?

Last night, M made the Slow baked beans with kale that was #2 read piece in the NYT using a mix of beans from Mexico and some RG beans. Kind of a meatless cassoulet with the bread crumbs on top. It was very nice, but he likes his own way of cooking beans better, so I doubt we'll see that recipe again. But the beans will be on the table for another day or two. Yikes, makes a lot, even with 1 cup of beans.

Please report back on how it went. I've had that attachment forever but never tried using it. :blush: Which pasta recipe are you using?

It sounds like we're in the same boat! I use one that reesek gave me (did she post here or was that only on eG?) anyway, it's one cup AP flour to 1 egg with an extra yolk added - no matter how many cups of flour you use. I'm off to extrude it now so I'll let you know....

A couple of weeks ago in the NY Times Magazine, Pete Wells wrote a piece about fried chicken. I haven't had really good fried chicken in awhile and decided that it would be the perfect thing to make for Super Bowl sunday. Behold - the fried chicken!

5423129735_706e26f1cf.jpg

Awaiting its bath of bubbling oil.

5423140159_ab8968a02f.jpg

Double, double,boil & bubble (with apologies to W. Shakespeare)

5423753828_6524d901a5.jpg

Et Voila!! Dinner is served. (I made a whole chicken in 1/8s plus two additional thighs)

The cajun seasoning was a tad on the salty side, but the coating was fabulous. So much better than anything I've ever bought and ridiculously easy to make. The downside, I used an obscene amount of oil.

I don't use parchment in the toaster oven -- I'm concerned that the more concentrated heat might set it afire. I just toss the fries in a paper towel-lined bowl when they're done. But if you are willing to be the test case, let us know what happened (assuming you don't burn down your house :lol: ).

Well, the last time firemen visited my house, they were awfully cute, so seeing them again just might be worth the experiment!

I have used parchment in my toaster oven, but with a lower temperature. Maybe I'll use aluminum foil, instead.

On topic (for a change), I had a perfect grilled cheese sandwich for dinner--used aged cheddar and some jalapeno havarti on German rye. The havarti oozed out and got a bit crispy. It was great. :wub: