Great NY Noodletown

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A quick, satisfying, and unbalanced lunch during a visit last week to Great NY City: Crispy, moist, savory roast duck; Enormous (ENORMOUS), sweet, crispy, juicy salt-baked soft-shelled crabs; an

Ms A and K and I hit the town last night.. Went for a much needed family night.. Chinese food for me, Japanese Cartoons for Miss K... All the kids were happy..   I think this is the longest run

Their rating's always been an A. I wonder how much they're paying out to maintain that?

Oh, my. We were there a couple of weeks ago. And if they reopen, we'll probably go back -- I figure it this way: it'll have to be a lot cleaner/safer than before (not that I ever saw anything horrible there, as I have elsewhere).

Yeah - really, could it be less clean or safe?

I figure it this way: I've been eating there for more than 20 years, and I haven't dropped dead yet.

I'm with Sneak...even though I've personally observed a few, ummm, critters...they've not been in my soup or roast suckling pig.

I've never seen anything that actually moved, other than the occasional waiter. I have noticed some pretty grubby wiping-up rags, but haven't been terribly put off by them. It's where I go when there are soft shell crabs to be had, always have, and I mean to continue it as long as I can. Damn the torpedoes. And any other vectors, too. Damn them I say! It is my rite of spring and I demand the right to my rite.

3739433795_82f5a9cb17_b.jpg

i agree - you're right. i'm not dead yet and those soft shell crabs are in fact a rite of spring! i hope they reopen. and anyway, i imagine if they clean follow the citation orders - it will actually be one of the more sanitary places around. like flying an airline that had a recent crash - what are the chances it will repeat immediately? so....soft shells it shall be!

I've never seen anything that actually moved

Um, I won't repeat my story about the giant rat of Sumatra...., but that happened many years ago and didn't stop us from continuing to eat there.

I've never seen anything that actually moved

Um, I won't repeat my story about the ginat rat of Sumatra...., but that happened many years ago and didn't stop us from continuing to eat there.

It was delicious when they finally caught and roasted it.

• 2 months later...

Wonderful lunch was had on Saturday.. Me and the Mrs. took a walk over the Manhattan Bridge..

4679774363_5b5b8791fe.jpg

We had no destination in mind but, it's really the first thing you see when you walk over the bridge..

Baby pork is awesome as always. needs to be ordered with a side of ginger scallion sauce..

4680404242_0e032f4488.jpg

A really great dish too.. Soft shell crab.. A hearty crab and fried perfectly.

4680403234_d147e8eda7.jpg

Side of vegetable which i love with the vinegar..

4679771387_e48c9d0015.jpg

Yup. We were there about 10 days ago, and had some fine stuff -- Paul's beloved pea shoots, the standard pan-fried noodles with mixed seafood, and a casserole of fish that turned out to have some bbq pork as well as mushrooms and some sort of choy. Other than the new uniforms, I couldn't tell any difference from before they were DOHed. What a relief.

I wish we could order the soft shells -- those look huge. But Paul has a fear of frying. :( And it's more than I want to eat by myself.

Yeah, I've never understood why "salt-baked" stuff is actually fried, but it is. That is true of every salt-baked whatever I've ever seen (usually on other people's tables :(). And Paul knows the linguistic trick. <_<