What have you rented lately?

Part 1 of the Red Riding trilogy. Julian Jarold's adaptation of the first of David Peace's eponymous quartet about Yorkshire*. My but this was fucking grim. A paranoid thriller featuring a serial child killer who stitches the wings of swans to the shoulders of his victims. An utterly corrupt police force where even the relatively honest cops acquiesce in a profitable coverup. An equally corrupt press and establishment (if less inclined to torture their adversaries personally). A happy ending? Don't make me larf. But tremendously atmospheric with terrific acting. Thoroughly recommended.

Warning: Americans will require subtitles.

*Which I tried to read. A James Ellroy homage that didn't quite do it for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked All the Real Girls so much that I re-watched the movie with the Director's commentary on. I thought only movie geeks did that   Looking forward to George Washington, by the same director.

Like so many Hollywood films it's didactic rather than real, schematic rather than believable.

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.

District 9 I thought it started out quite interesting. As the movie went on, the gross-out effects started to wear on my and I got bored. The story hit you over the head a bit with its alien/racism analogies and that got boring too.

I quite agree.

Me three.

The Memory of a Killer- Flemish film about an aging professional assassin who has Alzheimer's. A police procedural brought up greatly by the acting in the title role of Jan Decleir. Decleir was also excellent in Character and Antonia's Line. All three are recommended.

Murmur of the Heart-Louis Malle's 1971 movie about a family, mainly from the point of view of the youngest adolescent son in 1954 Dijon, France. It is funny and well written and the main character is quite compelling. There is also an incestuous scene towards the end of the movie which might be difficult to watch.

Free Zone, an odd little Israeli-Palestinian film I thought I'd read something good about. A must for all you Natalie Portman fans.

So excruciatingly artsy at the beginning, I almost ejected it from the DVD player, but it's worth staying with it. Gives a really unique view of that part of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

Army of Shadows, Jean Pierre Melville's third film about the French Resistance is not a war film but a film of the state of mind and fear and resignation and ideals. Lino Ventura is excellent as the main character Gerbier, in charge of a cell of agents out of Lyon. Simone Signoret is quite magnetic as Mathilde. Highly recommended.

When We Were Kings, the documentary about the Zaire fight between Ali and Foreman. Loved this, would definitely recommend it. I knew very little about boxing, this fight and about the two men in general so this was a great way to learn. I especially loved the knock out scene, I think I watched it no joke, perhaps 10 times.

"Love and Other Disasters" - a quirky little Brittany Murphy movie - better than I could hope for, notable for the early scenes shot in a posh hotel. I stayed there two nights in 2003 under fortunate circumstances. In London. Lots of scene shots. And a good wardrobe (Hers, not mine.)

In BrugesWhy did it take me so long to watch this? It was fantastic. Very 'Coen Brothers'. Colin Farrel has gotten so much better than when I first saw him - I hope he embraces his abilities as a character actor.

• 3 weeks later...

Spirited Away--what a lovely movie. I'm watching the NHK "making of" special now. The working environment is so typically Japanese, right down to Miyazaki smoking at his desk and taking his turn cooking for the staff (he made poor man's ramen which is instant ramen with some fresh vegetables and egg thrown in).

A Single Man Loved this, depressing as it was. It's visually stunning and Colin Firth does a great job. It's set in the early 60's and it was funny to hear Jon Hamm's voice as George's uncle (heard but not seen). After watching this movie, I remembered that I have a Christopher Isherwood trilogy, including A Single Man, that I've never read.