What have you rented lately?

Did you think Rudy Vallee was as close in style to the Beatles as Nirvana is?

Probably not. Are you talking about the evolution in pop style? Or is this related to the Beatles thread (which I haven't been following)?

The song he sings is a love song to a giant megaphone. I guess audiences of the day would have gotten the joke (he'd started out as a college cheerleader, yes? Or something like that?).

He used to sing through a megaphone.

It was a way of amplifying his soft voice before electrical amplification became common. (His big contribution to pop music was that he didn't belt out operatically but rather sang softly and conversationally.)

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I liked All the Real Girls so much that I re-watched the movie with the Director's commentary on. I thought only movie geeks did that   Looking forward to George Washington, by the same director.

Like so many Hollywood films it's didactic rather than real, schematic rather than believable.

Beals must have had a brief part. I don't remember her at all. I thought Bacon's was a fun little vignette.

Seven Psychopaths. It's by the same guy who did In Bruges. The dialogue is witty, the violence brutal and the acting is fantastic. Especially Sam Rockwell. I need to watch more Sam Rockwell.

Have you seen Confessions of a Dangerous Mind? He is brilliant in that.

That's the first thing I remember seeing him in. He really was brilliant. I didn't realize he was in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galexy. It's available on Amazon streaming so I can check it out. Thanks Stephanie!

Seven Psychopaths. It's by the same guy who did In Bruges. The dialogue is witty, the violence brutal and the acting is fantastic. Especially Sam Rockwell. I need to watch more Sam Rockwell.

That's the first thing I remember seeing him in. He really was brilliant. I didn't realize he was in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galexy. It's available on Amazon streaming so I can check it out. Thanks Stephanie!

I liked him in Moon, a sci-fi drama

Moon is available on Amazon as well. Plus it has the added bonus of Kevin Spacey! I'll check it out.

Rockwell is also in a DeNiro vehicle from a few years ago called Everybody's Fine (it won't kill you, it's not terrible, but it's not very good either) and he manages to, without the least bit of overacting, steal the movie. I recall thinking the film was sort of pointless but simultaneously really enjoying Rockwell's performance.

Moon was very good, but very slow and quirky.

Hitchhiker's guide is not really worth watching, unless you really love Rockwell or Zoey.

Seven Psychopaths was very good, almost great.

Looper was much better than expected. Gorden-Leavitt is very charming.

• 3 weeks later...

The Man in the White Suit: the last one on my checklist of classic Alec Guinness Ealing comedies. He plays a determined chemist who develops a fabric that repels dirt and is indestructible, so both the industrialists and the textile workers are out to stop him. Great performances by Guinness, Ernest Thesiger (as a Mr. Burns-like crusty head of the textile factory owners), and the always lovely Joan Greenwood, and an early appearance by Michael Gough, who eventually went on to play Alfred the Butler in most of the Batman movies.

That's the first thing I remember seeing him in. He really was brilliant. I didn't realize he was in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galexy. It's available on Amazon streaming so I can check it out. Thanks Stephanie
Moon is available on Amazon as well. Plus it has the added bonus of Kevin Spacey! I'll check it out.

My first recollection of Rockwell is his fine criminal little creep in Mamet's Heist, which is just a great flick. (Gene Hackman... :wub: )

i have just finished zooming through the first 4 seasons of /breaking bad/ on netflix instant. took me less than two weeks. but here i am now stuck without access to the first half of season 5, which finished airing in the u.s some months ago. i subscribe to amc on directv but they haven't put any of season 5 on ondemand, and they are currently re-running it one episode a week at a time and are already on episode 5. apparently, netflix in the u.k got season 5 in november but for whatever reason there's still no release date for american netflix. i could shell out $2.99 per hd episode on amazon though. this series is so damned good i am actually considering doing that for the first four episodes (i have episodes 5-8 set to record from the amc reruns). i know though that as soon as i pull the trigger netflix will get it.

i have just finished zooming through the first 4 seasons of /breaking bad/ on netflix instant. took me less than two weeks. but here i am now stuck without access to the first half of season 5, which finished airing in the u.s some months ago. i subscribe to amc on directv but they haven't put any of season 5 on ondemand, and they are currently re-running it one episode a week at a time and are already on episode 5. apparently, netflix in the u.k got season 5 in november but for whatever reason there's still no release date for american netflix. i could shell out $2.99 per hd episode on amazon though. this series is so damned good i am actually considering doing that for the first four episodes (i have episodes 5-8 set to record from the amc reruns). i know though that as soon as i pull the trigger netflix will get it.

there's a good chance that AMC will re-run the first half of this last season in a "marathon" just before the last half begins.