Clara

GerryOlds2TheReturnofGerry

The new-ish restaurant in the New York Historical Society. I went because I liked the chef's previous projects, including when he was at Racines. I don't know what I was expecting -- and granted, we were there during a holiday week -- but I didn't anticipate being the only table for the entirety of our meal. The food is very good, tailored to the UWS (i.e. a bit more formal and restrained than this restaurant group's Brooklyn projects). We enjoyed what we ate (near-perfect crisp-skinned duck breast was a highlight), but it kind of feels like an afterthought, at least at night. I could maybe see going for lunch or brunch when it's (hopefully) more crowded.

Edited by GerryOlds2TheReturnofGerry

2 hours ago, GerryOlds2TheReturnofGerry said:

The new-ish restaurant in the New York Historical Society. I went because I liked the chef's previous projects, including when he was at Racines. I don't know what I was expecting -- and granted, we were there during a holiday week -- but I didn't anticipate being the only table for the entirety of our meal. The food is very good, tailored to the UWS (i.e. a bit more formal and restrained than this restaurant group's Brooklyn projects). We enjoyed what we ate (near-perfect crisp-skinned duck breast was a highlight), but it kind of feels like an afterthought, at least at night. I could maybe see going for lunch or brunch when it's (hopefully) more crowded.

Is this Diego?

4 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Last time I looked, Bill Telepan was cooking at the Met. But how often does one say, I think I’ll go to the Met for dinner?

And the question always persists of how much the chef is actually "cooking" at these museum places.

I get the feeling Moya is actually cooking at Clara, as if it were a real restaurant.

But I wonder whether Telepan's Met gig is more like Saul Bolton's "cooking" at the Brooklyn Museum, where he was more the figurehead on a concession run by a public-spaces restaurant/catering group.

Edited by Sneakeater

11 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

But I wonder whether Telepan's Met gig is more like Saul Bolton's "cooking" at the Brooklyn Museum, where he was more the figurehead on a concession run by a public-spaces restaurant/catering group.

He is the Culinary Director at the Met for Bon Appetit Management, which runs all the food service, including the employee cafeteria. I imagine its like being the executive chef of, i don't know, 5 or 6 different restaurant concepts under one roof....There are a few Telepan vets working there as well.

On 12/28/2023 at 5:54 PM, Sneakeater said:

And the question always persists of how much the chef is actually "cooking" at these museum places.

I get the feeling Moya is actually cooking at Clara, as if it were a real restaurant.

That's the thing -- Moya is now head of a restaurant group with multiple venues spread across Brooklyn and Manhattan, so he wasn't at Clara that night. Not that it mattered much, at least food-wise.

9 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Oh right!  He does the food at the June places, right?

Yes. A long time ago I believe I first tasted his cooking at a place called Hemlock - and we're all still alive!