Kitchen Letters

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among the notable:   Asian Sauces and Marinades - nice book with a quite a few of interesting ideas.   Asian Cook by Terry Tan - his Shiok! on Singaporean food is pretty good, but this one is mus

I decided my cocktail library needed some growth. Cocktail Codex and Dale DeGroff's New Craft of the Cocktail arrived yesterday.

Just ordered:

Stuart Cookery: Recipes and History (Cooking Through the Ages) - Peter Brears

Nose to Tail Eating: A Kind of British Cooking - Fergus Henderson

Little Foods of the Mediterranean: 500 Fabulous Recipes for Antipasti, Tapas, Hors D'Oeuvre, Meze, and More - C.A. Wright

Tudor History: Recipes and History (Cooking Through the Ages) - Peter Brears

Traditional Foods of Britain: An Inventory

Nose to Tail Eating: A Kind of British Cooking - Fergus Henderson

This is great fun to have. When my family was over a few months ago, they couldn't put it (or HFW's Meat book) down.

I've recently ordered:

The Best of Mauritian Cooking, Barry Andrews

La Réunion des mille et une saveurs, Serge Gelabert

So hopefully the high-grade Bourbon vanilla I brought back from Reunion will be put to some savoury uses.

Chris has just got a large consignment of cookery books in his shop. There are 100 of them so I don't know if anyone wants me to email or PM them the list (probably take up too much space here?). He would get a discount on the prices listed.

As an aside, I get 50% discount on all Harper Collins books and am more than happy to order any for anyone...

Chris has just got a large consignment of cookery books in his shop. There are 100 of them so I don't know if anyone wants me to email or PM them the list (probably take up too much space here?). He would get a discount on the prices listed.

As an aside, I get 50% discount on all Harper Collins books and am more than happy to order any for anyone...

Yes yes yes yes

Please.

v

AmpleT, I might almost be willing to throw our Middlewhite bout for that. :lol:

AmpleT, I might almost be willing to throw our Middlewhite bout for that. :lol:

but think of all our fans we will be disappointing!

Some other stuff i got in recently.

Kimchi Cookbook;

both books of Tsuji - "Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art" and "Practical Japanese Cooking: Easy and Elegant".

Alex brought from HK:

"Authentic Recipes from China" and

"Authentic Recipes from Korea" - new world food series from Periplus.

I already have the Thai book and am waiting for the Japanese - to be published in couple of months.

Cook's Guide To Asian Vegetables by Wendy Hutton – although I expected to see more exotic stuff, it’s still a lovely book;

Picked this up recently alongside one called Cooking with Asian Leaves (Devagi Sanmugam & Christopher Tan). Both reasonably useful as shopping guides, although neither quite as comprehensive as one would like.

Of course i couldn't resist the book with asian leaves in the title so thanks to Kiku i got a useful addition to my library.

The book is organized in alphabetical order covering the appearance, flavor, uses and health benefits of each herbs/leaves plus couple of recipes. I already found some leaves not covered elsewhere.

A couple more books from e-bay for little more than the cost of postage:

Cooking with Vegetables by Alex D. Hawkes. A 60's precursor to Elizabeth Schneider's book on veg. If anything more comprehensive in its coverage (ie remarkable) but limited by the 60's-ness of the recipes, with the odd exception. An idiosyncratic and interesting book.

Keo's Thai Cuisine by Keo Sananikone. A book that I remember well when it came out in the mid-80's. It seemed a very smart production with sophisticated recipes and I only didn't buy it due to the ridiculous cover price. A testament to how one's outlook changes, this book now appears relatively pedestrian in its coverage of Thai cooking. Annoyingly, the author turns out to be Lao in origin.

v

I finally got Delicioso! and that makes a me a proud owner of all Penelope Casas books although honestly i'm hardly using them except for Paella and even that was a while ago. But Delicioso! looks like a nice book with a lot if interesting recipes...

Oh, and this is what i wanted to post forever - my two most favorite bookshelves :lol:

cookbooks23tw.jpg