Kitchen Letters

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among the notable:   Asian Sauces and Marinades - nice book with a quite a few of interesting ideas.   Asian Cook by Terry Tan - his Shiok! on Singaporean food is pretty good, but this one is mus

I decided my cocktail library needed some growth. Cocktail Codex and Dale DeGroff's New Craft of the Cocktail arrived yesterday.

A Russian Jew Cooks in Peru by Violeta Autumn.

v

:lol:

What do Russian Jews cook in Peru?

stodge mostly. of the carb-laden variety. just like in mother russia.

Surely this belongs in the surrealism thread.

Marcella Says for $6.50 + shipping from e-bay. Sold as a bookclub edition which doesn't bother me but on receipt I find it is a perfectly bonafide 1st edition ;)

And a rare purchase from Amazon - I must have been feeling depressed the other day:

Kylie Kwong's Heart & Soul and Recipes & Stories.

v

The second in the "Classic" series arrived by mail the other day. It's a chunky red volume called, "Classic Italian Cooking" by Valentina Harris with charming illustrations by Lydia Evans. The recies seem to be modernized and simplified a bit, but if they are anything like those in the French volume, without sacrificing flavor. Flipping through it made me want to start cooking.

• 1 month later...

Can't believe this thread was neglected for so long :o

recetly i ordered quite a bunch of books through amazon marketplace and they started to arrive one by one:

so much for my promise to stop buying chef's cookbooks but the price was too irresistable:

Portale's Simple Pleasures (in addition to Telepan's Inspired by Ingredients, and Ducasse's Spoon (remaindered in B&N) ).

Continuing to fill in the gaps in the mediterranean section:

Classical Turkish Cooking by Ayla Algar - Vegetables and Bread sections are especially interesting - looking forward for making flatbreads and cooking vegetables in olive oil.

• 2 weeks later...

Two parcels from amazon international:

New Greek Cuisine by Pasparakis - ordered on a whim from the canadian one: after a brief leafing through looks like a useful book;

Neil Perry's The Food i Love - from the british amazon: this is huge - four hundred plus pages that i look forward to savor slowly...

Guest Suzanne F
A suprise gift from my husband. The 2-volume Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink in America.

He's a nice guy!!

But you'll have to put on some weight before you can take one of those volumes to bed for late-night reading! :D Otherwise you'll get crushed if you fall asleep. :) Although they're not as big as The Oxford Companion to Food

Lauren Tourondel's Go Fish;

Gordon Ramsay's In the Heat of the Kitchen;

New Greek Cuisine by Pasparakis - ordered on a whim from the canadian one: after a brief leafing through looks like a useful book;

after a closer look seems like a total wasted of money :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Art of Cuisine, by Toulouse-Lautrec and Maurice Joyant. Charmingly written evocative recipes developed by the artist, generously illustrated with his own paintings, drawing and menus. Has anyone cooked anything from this book?

The Art of Cuisine, by Toulouse-Lautrec and Maurice Joyant. Charmingly written evocative recipes developed by the artist, generously illustrated with his own paintings, drawing and menus. Has anyone cooked anything from this book?

I picked up a copy of this back in November but haven't gotten around to really perusing it yet.

• 2 weeks later...

I caved in and bought The Armenian Table, by Victoria Jananyan Wise, in which the recipe for kaymak that I posted about on another thread appears. It was $8 at the store on Carmine Street, $10 less than Amazon is charging for the $30 book. I was also tempted by Caviar, Truffles, and Foie Gras: Recipes for Divine Indulgence by Katherine Alford for about the same price, but I resisted.

American Boulangeire came from the bakery itself. And they included a very nice real linen shopping bag at no charge. The wild mushroom and cheese tart is a definite winner.