Kitchen Letters

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among the notable:   Asian Sauces and Marinades - nice book with a quite a few of interesting ideas.   Asian Cook by Terry Tan - his Shiok! on Singaporean food is pretty good, but this one is mus

I decided my cocktail library needed some growth. Cocktail Codex and Dale DeGroff's New Craft of the Cocktail arrived yesterday.

if you plan to order, amazon doesn't offer the free shipping on this one - buy.com does.

Kooky. I ordered it awhile ago and I'm getting free shipping.

Free Shipping is iffy. My Paula Wolfert still hasn't arrived even though it "usually ships in 24 hours" when ordered. Ethel Merman cd The World Is You Balloon arrived at once, unfortunately.

Rancho, i think i know what's the deal with the The Cook's Book - both UK and US editions are available from amazon - US is ready to go in 24 hours while UK one takes 1 to 2 weeks. But the former is not eligible for Free Shipping when the latter is (though it costs much more).

Which one did you order?

in the meantime, both of my books: Cook's Book and Silver Spoon were shipped (free :wub: ) today from buy.com: ordered today in the morning - what a speed!

Amazon, beware :lol:

in the meantime, both of my books: Cook's Book and Silver Spoon were shipped (free  :wub: ) today from buy.com: ordered today in the morning - what a speed!

Amazon, beware :lol:

Kooky and kookier. My Silver Spoon is $26.37 and if you look at the description now it says no free shipping. But it says estimated shipping 11/17. I ordered in September sometime.

But after the Wolfert was ordered 9/24 (with ships within 24 hours), shipped on 10/4 (by Airborne Home, whatever that is) and still not here, I'll check out Buy.com next time.

Didn't get Cooks Book. I'll wait for your review!

Do like i did - i cancelled the Silver Spoon amazon order today in the morning after i saw it was available at buy.com for immediate shipping and at the same price  :wub:

Done! I want to be you.

Got Moro and I am in love. This book just gets to me! One stupid question- are "Spanish" onions the same thing as red/bermuda onions? And what is "caster" sugar? Extra fine?

Now hunting for Casa de Moro.

Edited to add: Helena had recommended the Moro books in another thread.

Edited by rancho_gordo

Spanish onions are not red onions. They are large yellow onions, and they are a bit sweeter than regular yellow onions.

Just found this on an onion site:

"Spanish and Bermuda onions, are merely two types of yellow storage onions that are grown neither in Spain, nor in Bermuda. Incidentally, Bermuda onions no longer exist, so if your retailer is advertising Bermuda onions, they are most likely Spanish. Despite the fact that they are called storage onions, there is a steady supply of these onions throughout the year from various areas in and outside the country."

...And what is "caster" sugar? Extra fine?

Yes. Sometimes available as “Bartender's Sugar”. Wonder of wonders, the sugar sold as IGA house brand is superfine (lucky me, as my local groceria is an IGA). If you can't find superfine in stores, you can run regler ole sugar through a food processor for a few minutes.

One stupid question- are "Spanish" onions the same thing as red/bermuda onions? And what is "caster" sugar? Extra fine?

That's two stupid questions. :wub:

Spanish onions are large yellow onions. I've never really noticed much difference in taste from regular yellow onions.

Caster sugar is finer than regular sugar but not as fine as confectioner's sugar.

Guest Suzanne F

Fine Dining Madness: The rules and realities of fine dining by John Galloway. From the wait staff's perspective. I guess after I read this, I will have to read FG's book after all to do a compare-and-contrast.

Guest Suzanne F
One stupid question- are "Spanish" onions the same thing as red/bermuda onions? And what is "caster" sugar? Extra fine?

That's two stupid questions. :lol:

Spanish onions are large yellow onions. I've never really noticed much difference in taste from regular yellow onions.

Caster sugar is finer than regular sugar but not as fine as confectioner's sugar.

But surely you've noticed a difference in price: Spanish onions are always more expensive, in my experience. (But I prefer white onions anyway, so what do I care? :wub: )

"Caster sugar" is one of those Britishisms. What I want to know is: which came first: caster sugar or a sugar caster?

That's two stupid questions. :wub:

I think the onion question was stupid. The caster perfectly valid. It was one stupid and one ignorant, as far as I can see. Please let's get this straight.

It's funny but in Mexican cooking they only use red or white onions, never yellow.

Isn't the internet a wonderful thing?????!!!

Got Moro and I am in love. This book just gets to me!

Now hunting for Casa de Moro.

Rancho, i'm so glad you liked Moro - this is my kind of book too - like Paula's Slow Med - won't you agree?

And as you hunting for Casa Moro (i ordered mine from Amazon UK right after it was published - just coundn't wait), check these titles by Elizabeth Luard out:

Saffron and Sunshine - a delightful book on tapas - out of print but can be tracked down - i got my pretty cheap;

and

The Food of Spain and Portugal: A Regional Celebration (a celebration indeed)

btw i provided the link to UK amazon as you can search inside and not on US amazon although the books is widely available here