Kitchen Letters

Recently got a copy of Sarah Kelly Iaia's OOP Festive Baking: Holiday Classics in the Swiss, German and Austrian Traditions (Doubleday 1988).

I've been looking for a book like this for some time, and it does not disappoint. Iaia lived in these countries for seven years and culled the recipes from home bakers and Konditereien alike. The tone is serious and detailed, and the variety of offerings impressive. Below are the chapter headings, and examples of some of the recipes in each:

Lebkuchen: Alte Züri-Tirggel (Old-Fashioned Zurich Embossed Gingerbread); Nürnberger Elisenlebkuchen (Nuremberg Gingerbread); Lebkuchen Glücksschweinchen (Gingerbread Good-luck Pigs)

Butter Cookies: Pfauenaugen (Peacock's Eyes); Spitzbuben (Jam-filled Butter Cookies); Spekulatius (Printed Almond Crisps)

Whisked-Egg Cookies: Wygützli (Printed Red Christmas Cookies), Maronibaisers (Chestnut Meringues), Zimmetleckerli (Cinnamon Marzipan Cookies)

Deep-fried Pastries: Berner Trichterschueechli (Bern Funnel Cakes), Rothenburger Schneeballen (Rothenburg Snowballs), Berliner Pfannkuchen (Berlin Jelly Doughnuts)

Festive Breads: Dresdner Christstollen mit Marzipan, Birnbrot (Spicy Pear Bread), Kugelhopf (Alsatian version)

Cakes, Pastries and Mehlspeisen: Kastanientorte (Chocolate Chestnut Torte), Zuger Kirschtorte (Zug Kirsch Cake), Preiselbeerenschaumtorte (Lingonberry Meringue Torte).

350 pages and 150+ recipes. Will be trying some of these and reporting back on results.

• Replies 906
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Among the notable:   Asian Sauces and Marinades - nice book with a quite a few of interesting ideas.   Asian Cook by Terry Tan - his Shiok! on Singaporean food is pretty good, but this one is mus

I decided my cocktail library needed some growth. Cocktail Codex and Dale DeGroff's New Craft of the Cocktail arrived yesterday.

TIME/CNN have a slide-show on their site featuring several of the chefs interviewed in Melanie Dunea's new book, My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes.

Edit: Get a load of Lidia's hat! (Also, get a load of "Grama Padano" :blink:.)

I happened to pass through Grand Central a while back and saw an entire hall was dedicated to Lidia trying to convince us that she's Italian and that her village is somewhere in Umbiascony-Romana, not in Queens.

The display in Grand Central was not exactly promoting her being from somewhere that people might find questionable as being real Italy. It had images of her with locals in better known parts of the country. I believe there's a similar effort going on TV. I'm not sure that hat is helping her with that.

TIME/CNN have a slide-show on their site featuring several of the chefs interviewed in Melanie Dunea's new book, My Last Supper: 50 Great Chefs and Their Final Meals / Portraits, Interviews, and Recipes.

Edit: Get a load of Lidia's hat! (Also, get a load of "Grama Padano" :blink:.)

I happened to pass through Grand Central a while back and saw an entire hall was dedicated to Lidia trying to convince us that she's Italian and that her village is somewhere in Umbiascony-Romana, not in Queens.

Istria has certainly had a lot of flag-changing over the years, but it's had an Italian, Slovenian, and Croatian population for at least the last 600 years or so.

I believe Ms Bastianich owns a farm and inn somewhere in Umbria, though. I have no idea of when she acquired it.

What's a good fish cookbook? Please don't say Bittman.

Rick Stein, Shirley King, Colin Spencer, and James Peterson all have good ones. Lotsa basic info on types of fish and how to cook them, and good variations with more detail.

(I would never, ever say Bittman :P .)

I'm reading Judith Bailey Jones's The Tenth Muse, and enjoying it very much - what a charmed life she leads. Anyone read it yet?

I'm almost done with it - and trying to slow down and make it last. Her paragraph about gooseberries in chapter 9 (p. 176) was great as I'm equally obsessed by them.

I was looking at the Rick Stein and Peterson ones. I like Peterson's writing style, though what I need is less basic-level technique and more ideas for dishes that would work well as fancy first/fish courses as opposed to main dishes. The Stein was winning out because there's broader coverage of non-American fish varieties. There's no amazon preview for the latter -- have you seen it in person? Will check out the other two.

The Le Bernadin cookbook looks kind of interesting. I can get around the restaurant cookbook annoyances, it's more that I need some inspiration. (The Michel Roux sauces book actually has some very nice ideas.)

damnit, why don't these books have amazon preview.

Some more suggestions:

Jane Grigson's Fish Book (comprehensive; UK/scholarly slant)

Evan Kleiman's Cucina Del Mare: Fish and Seafood Italian Style

Leslie Revsin's Great Fish, Quick: Delicious Dinners from Fillets and Shellfish

The Fish volume from the Time-Life Good Cook series (ed. Richard Olney)

Laurent Tourondel's Go Fish: Fresh Ideas for American Seafood

Rick Stein is an excellent choice -- I've got Complete Seafood and find it, well, complete. :) Lots of photos that show how to do things, and lots of photos showing complete dishes, many of which would serve your purpose. Also a good-size section on soups, which many books lack.

Recently got a copy of Sarah Kelly Iaia's OOP Festive Baking: Holiday Classics in the Swiss, German and Austrian Traditions (Doubleday 1988).

I've been looking for a book like this for some time, and it does not disappoint. Iaia lived in these countries for seven years and culled the recipes from home bakers and Konditereien alike. The tone is serious and detailed, and the variety of offerings impressive. Below are the chapter headings, and examples of some of the recipes in each:

Lebkuchen: Alte Züri-Tirggel (Old-Fashioned Zurich Embossed Gingerbread); Nürnberger Elisenlebkuchen (Nuremberg Gingerbread); Lebkuchen Glücksschweinchen (Gingerbread Good-luck Pigs)

Butter Cookies: Pfauenaugen (Peacock's Eyes); Spitzbuben (Jam-filled Butter Cookies); Spekulatius (Printed Almond Crisps)

Whisked-Egg Cookies: Wygützli (Printed Red Christmas Cookies), Maronibaisers (Chestnut Meringues), Zimmetleckerli (Cinnamon Marzipan Cookies)

Deep-fried Pastries: Berner Trichterschueechli (Bern Funnel Cakes), Rothenburger Schneeballen (Rothenburg Snowballs), Berliner Pfannkuchen (Berlin Jelly Doughnuts)

Festive Breads: Dresdner Christstollen mit Marzipan, Birnbrot (Spicy Pear Bread), Kugelhopf (Alsatian version)

Cakes, Pastries and Mehlspeisen: Kastanientorte (Chocolate Chestnut Torte), Zuger Kirschtorte (Zug Kirsch Cake), Preiselbeerenschaumtorte (Lingonberry Meringue Torte).

350 pages and 150+ recipes. Will be trying some of these and reporting back on results.

I like this cookbook as well although I have only baked a few cookies from it so far. The Lebkuchen chapter is quite extensive and I would like to give some of them a try although I don't have any Lebkuchen molds yet. For those interested in Austrian/Swiss/German baking I thinktThis book is a good addition to Rick Rodger's "Kaffehaus" as they don't overlap that much in term of recipes and background material. I wish Nick Maglieri would put out a book on just Swiss, German and Austrian baking. He has many interesting recipes from those traditions that are not in those two books but his recipes are scattered across 4-5 books that cover international and/or European baking.