Great songs with dumb lyrics

Wilfrid

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wilfrid said:

Actually a bunch of covers. Curious thing about the album is that, although the band was having a stream of chart hits, none are on this monumental live album.

You realize that Slade Alive came out before Slayed?, right?  The only extant hit single left off Slade Alive was “Coz I Luv You”.  ‘Mama We’re All Crazee Now” and “Gudbye to Jane”, even I think “Take Me Back Home”, still lay in the future. 

Edited by Sneakeater

53 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

But wait, he’s not in Southern California. Isn’t that the whole point of the song?

Oh right.  John Phillips, imagining what it must be like not to be in Southern California, must have forgotten.  

When I was young, I actually preferred Alvin Lee’s guitar work on “Spoonful” (1st Ten Years After album?) to Clapton’s (Cream, of course).

As for Steppenwolf, I will always be greatful to them for “Monster” as, when I sold off several hundred of my vinyl records, basically for $2 apiece, the guy gave me $20 or $30 for it, saying “they like this in Russia”.  He had it sold on line for a profit before I left the store.  Basically pristine condition.

(obviously, I use this thread as “memory lane”)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

You realize that Slade Alive came out before Slayed?, right?  The only extant hit single left off Slade Alive was “Coz I Luv You”.  ‘Mama We’re All Crazee Now” and “Gudbye to Jane”, even I think “Take Me Back Home”, still lay in the future. 

"Coz I Luv You" and "Look Wot You Done," but true, those other three came out after the release of "Slade Alive." Those latter three singles, "Slade Alive" and "Slayed" all in the same year. Wow.

10 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Gudbye T' Jane. 

Man, I love that song. 

It’s an astonishing run of hits.

Back in the day, I was lucky to find a used vinyl copy of “Beginnings” that they released as Ambrose Slade. Rare then, it’s easy to find streaming now. What a great young band.

I don’t know why they just stopped developing.

• Like 1

Going back to the lyrics thing, “Mama Weer All Crazy Now” was a fantastic paean to full on destructive drinking, a gift to the youth. But not banned by radio because no drugs or sex (see “My Dingaling”).

IMG_0320.png

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile, Paul Simon also seems to think leaves are brown in the Winter.

(His recent work concerning aging -- written from the perspective of actually being aged -- makes this piece, written in his 20s, seem a little um callow.)

Edited by Sneakeater

I don't remember that Slade song.

Oh dear, Paul Simon. The winter in that song is not literal, but that doesn't mean there need to be brown leaves in it, except to half rhyme with "around."  I suppose fields can be "ripe" if you need to (barely) half rhyme with "life."

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I don't remember that Slade song.

Oh dear, Paul Simon. The winter in that song is not literal, but that doesn't mean there need to be brown leaves in it, except to half rhyme with "around."  I suppose fields can be "ripe" if you need to (barely) half rhyme with "life."

I think that's a 1/4 rhyme