• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bayless' Mexican Kitchen book is truly magical: tonight i made yet one more dish from it: Tinga de Pollo y Papas - smoky shredded chicken thighs (duck legs actually) and potatoes with roasted tomatoes: it was quite interesting to experiment with shredded potatoes that this recipe calls for.

helena, that sounds great. What made the dish smoky?

serious amount of chipotles - they're so wonderful with duck leg meat.

Speak of the devil, so to speak. I'll post in the duck thread, but I did roast my first duck this week. Then I got sickish, and had no energy to make anything complex, so I served it with Rancho Gordo runner cannellini beans and some very hot, very smoky chipotle salsa. It was fine and dandy.

The heat really went well with the duck flavor.

Bayless' Mexican Kitchen book is truly magical: tonight i made yet one more dish from it: Tinga de Pollo y Papas - smoky shredded chicken thighs (duck legs actually) and potatoes with roasted tomatoes: it was quite interesting to experiment with shredded potatoes that this recipe calls for.

helena, that sounds great. What made the dish smoky?

Is this the recipe? And if so, where does the tomato sauce come in? Do you just smother the meat n' potatoes with it?

Is this the recipe? And if so, where does the tomato sauce come in? Do you just smother the meat n' potatoes with it?

He says:

Add the onion and potatoes and cook, stirring and scraping up any sticking bits, until well browned, about 15 minutes. Scrape in the sauce and oregano, bring to a boil, stir in the chicken, and heat through, about 2 minutes.

It's subtle, but it's there!

I made this last night because I have to copy everything helena does (it's a great way never to make a mistake!) and because I'm embarrassed that I've never made tinga before. But this wasn't what I'd normally consider tinga and I'm hoping Esperanza will chime in with a definitive definition. But what a great dish anyhow!

The heat was there but I'd think tolerable for company. As I was grating 4 potatoes and an onion I thought there was some mistake but they do cook down. Still, you need a pretty big pan (which Bayless notes but I of course decided to ignore). The potatoes were wonderful and I think it's a shame you don't see more papas in Mexican cooking. I also thought it would be great to make a big potato gallete or pancake (dry) and ladle the chicken and sauce over it.

It dawned on me that I'm somewhat of a sabe todo about things, when in fact, I'm really a tourist. Lately I've been making things from recipes and being surprised, thinking I'd know exactly how they'd taste. Sometimes the ingredients make some kind of magic that goes beyond the imagination. I'm not going to start a blog "Rick & Steve" or "Diana & Gordo" but I am going back over my favorite books and try the dishes that I've sold short in my mind.

If I'm going to get one of the Bayless books, which should it be?

No can seems to agree. I actually like One Plate at a Time. It rehashes a lot of stuff but it's very chatty and not just recipes. I've heard over and over that Salsas that Cook is a favorite but I don't get it. Authentic Mexican should be easy to like for everyone and it is. Mexican Kitchen has good recipes but I suspect you're as cynical as me and the gimmicky style will drive you nuts.

So the answer is I don't know.