if you can get good mangoes, dice a couple very sweet ripe BUT FIRM mangoes, add minced cilantro and red onion, some chopped bell pepper, some quartered grape tomatoes, a clove or two of grated garlic, some minced chili if you like, sprinkle with sea salt and douse with lime juice--excellent in duck or beef tacos

This is also very good with Indian food if you call it chutney (in that case, I'd leave out the tomatoes)

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of all places, the Fresco Tortilla franchise on 2nd Ave near me, which is run by Chinese, makes tortillas by tossing lumps of dough into an automated press, which then spits them directly onto a griddle. If you go when they're not busy, they won't have any waiting and so will make them on the spot for you. They're not the best, but they are quasi fresh. 30 cents each.

• 4 weeks later...

Made my salsa last week, and just tasted it after the requisite 2 day fridge time. Wow, I forgot how good it is, and so so simple.

One can San Marzanos

One can chipotle in adobo

Bunch cilantro

half red onion

4 cloves garlic

Juice of lime

S&P

In food processor, whizz the onion and garlic, then add tomatoes, chipotles and lime juice, fair amount of salt, pepper, and whizz again to desired chunkiness.

Let sit in fridge for at least 24 hours. Delicious.

That sounds good Ron, what do you eat with the salsa?

Damn server crash this morning wiped out my answer, so here goes again . . .

I like it with tacos. I have access to good corn tortillas because of a large Mexican community near my house. So I make carne asada or carnitas tacos, and the salsa goes great with that. However, it can just be used with chips or go with anything really, especially eggs.

Its a medium hot because of the chiptole, hot enough for average folks, but I like to add some El Yucateco habanero to it for a little more kick.

Its a medium hot because of the chiptole, hot enough for average folks, but I like to add some El Yucateco habanero to it for a little more kick.

I was going to comment on the amount of chipotle in that salsa. In the past I've only used one or two from a can. But you say it's only medium hot?

Thanks for reminding me how much I love cochinita pibil. The first and third recipes look good. Second one seems like it had its spicing adjusted for gringos. One detail that it does give is the use of Seville orange juice or combination of citrus juices - plain orange juice tends to be too sweet and not acidic enough around here.

Cochinita Pibil is currently marinating away. The pork-a-thon happens tonight ... can't wait. Orik does it really take four hours to roast? Any last words of advice?

Oh and I found the banana leaves at the Thai Market on Mosco.

Made my salsa last week, and just tasted it after the requisite 2 day fridge time. Wow, I forgot how good it is, and so so simple.

One can San Marzanos

One can chipotle in adobo

Bunch cilantro

half red onion

4 cloves garlic

Juice of lime

S&P

In food processor, whizz the onion and garlic, then add tomatoes, chipotles and lime juice, fair amount of salt, pepper, and whizz again to desired chunkiness.

Let sit in fridge for at least 24 hours. Delicious.

Ron, that sounds wonderful. I've been traveling for about a month, so don't have access to a food processor. But as soon as I do, I'm whipping me up a batch. Thanks for posting it.

:rolleyes:

I fretted needlessly over the Cochinita Pibil, it was great. I worried that there was too much marinade and that the pork would be too soupy. I let it cook for about 4 hours and then took off the foil, loosened the leaves, turned off the heat and let it sit in the oven while we made the rest of the meal. The marinade was perfectly absorbed, the pork was perfectly flavored and just falling apart tender. It was served with house fried tortilla chips, The Ron Johnson salsa, guacamole, house made tortillas and lots of beer.

A couple of notes about The Ron Johnson salsa: it practically stole the show. :blink: All these shouts of it being the "right amount" salsa, meaning it was the right amount of hot. But I thought it was HOT, not medium hot--and I'm no hot-wimp. That Ron adds even more chilis to it makes me think that he was asbestos tastebuds.

Chocolate dipped fruit and Armagnac for dessert.

Abby,

that sounds good. You've inspired me. Although if I tell Chris the reference for the recipe, I'll have to listen to him saying "are you a mexican? or a mexican't?" and pretending like he has a fake arm all night. He loves that movie.

Which recipe did you follow?

I mostly followed the movie recipe. Truth be told, I liked the idea of adding the tequila, mostly because I have a bottle of tequila that I want to get rid of. I added a little bit of smoked paprika just for the hell of it but that was my only variation.

A couple of notes about The Ron Johnson salsa: it practically stole the show. :blink: All these shouts of it being the "right amount" salsa, meaning it was the right amount of hot. But I thought it was HOT, not medium hot--and I'm no hot-wimp. That Ron adds even more chilis to it makes me think that he was asbestos tastebuds.

Chocolate dipped fruit and Armagnac for dessert.

I am glad it turned out ok. I do think that I have developed a frighteningly high tolerance for spicy food in the last few years. Now, I always order my Thai food "Thai spicy" and in one restaurant the staff has come out to my table to watch me eat it. I like the endrphin rush I guess.

As for the chipotle in adobo, I do think those are spicy, too much so for a lot of folks, so I was surprised how much they mellowed out in that amount of tomatoes. I think the salsa is a good medium hot. Of course, later it occurred to me that you may be purchasing larger cans of Chipotle in adobo than I was. :unsure: