Jazba

• 2 weeks later...

I tried four dishes and two cocktails, and liked about half of it. The menu is divided into "half ticket" (aka appetizers) and "full ticket" (three guesses), but everything was pretty much the same size. The mains each come with a bread, which I suppose makes them a little bigger. I started with a "stinging vesper," which was very nice, but not stinging at all - just a regular ol' vesper. Second drink was the mezcal-based "pipli," a bit more exciting due to its candied pepper garnish. My companion, who has spent considerable time in India, consulted at length with the server, who advised against the appetizer she had her eye on because it involved yogurt, and according to him you're not supposed to drink alcohol and eat yogurt at the same time (this is a new one on me). So we ended up the dabeli, a little spiced potato sandwich, which was just okay, not too exciting.

IMG_3237.thumb.jpg.a6ab416dadf6e6ab235dc36cc7ff2c6e.jpg

Our second appetizer, the kachori kadi bhujje, was much better - described simply as "stuffed onion kachori, tempered buttermilk," it had a delicate gravy offset by some chopped raw onion, which, improbably, worked very well.

IMG_3238.thumb.jpg.3421a66fe7575987bbfd6c917044291d.jpg

I had my eye on the ros omelet, which was indeed very good, some prawns in an assertive red sauce with a thin omelet buried underneath. Unfortunately, this was served with pao, the same bread as in our first appetizer, and my least favorite Indian bread, since it's just a dinner roll, basically.

IMG_3241.thumb.jpg.6e74b1d2ebff7fdaa9ea7a083d4fa2c7.jpg

Our other main was the atari paneer. My companion was doubtful about this, but the server was pushing it, so we got it, and it was fine, nothing special, and slightly redeemed by the butter naan that came with it. I think if we didn't already have two other very saucy dishes, we might have appreciated it more. So! judicious ordering will get you a good meal, and don't listen to the waitstaff.

There's almost no lactic acid in milk to begin with. Yogurt usually contains about 1% lactic acid which I'm sure is a major concern for your liver as it's busy processing that 15% alcohol drink.