Dessert, the Sweet Spot

StephanieL

We had a terrific anniversary dinner at Kin Khao last week, and amongst the leftovers we took home were both sticky rice and steamed jasmine rice.  N used both to make a baked rice pudding with coconut milk.  I decided that I like the firmness of the baked rice pudding much more than the soupy/creamy versions.

• 5 months later...

I'm attending a potluck this evening where the theme is recreating recipes from the 19th-century cookbook What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Cooking, the first attributed to an African-American author.  The vagueness of 19th-century recipes being what it is, I went with ginger cake (gingerbread), because there are plenty of modern recipes that I could use for reference.  It came out nice and moist, if very large, but it calls for a whole pint of molasses and I accidentally used blackstrap rather than regular molasses.  I hope the attendees like the flavor!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Pie shell taking up room in the fridge + a cache of frozen homegrown blackberries from 2022 = pie.  The bottom of the shell wasn't fully baked during the blind baking stage (I thought it was), and the 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour and 1 Granny Smith apple didn't thicken the filling quite like I hoped, but it turned out well enough.  I used a Maida Heatter recipe that uses frozen blackberries, so the filling's soupiness (even after several hours out of the oven) surprised me.

pie.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...