20 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

I'm arguing that they're not "real" American foodways.  They're foreign foodways here. 

By this metric, are there any "real" American foodways at all? Other than succotash and like that, it's all imported.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

There are American cuisines. They all incorporate non-indigenous influences, but so do most cuisines. But they are regional not national, reflecting the federal nature of the country y’all came up with.

3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I personally would view it more as a class issue, if I can say that in a way that makes you understand I'm not trying to be antagonisitc.

It’s ironic, BTW, that offal, traditionally a source of cheap protein for poor people, is now, in America, a signifier of elite taste.  

8 hours ago, small h said:

By this metric, are there any "real" American foodways at all? Other than succotash and like that, it's all imported.

Can we just say Cuisine of the America’s and then just ride on the coattails of Mexico 

6 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

There are American cuisines. They all incorporate non-indigenous influences, but so do most cuisines. But they are regional not national, reflecting the federal nature of the country y’all came up with.

Broadly:

California - egg in a spoon over open flame

New York - habanada on a stick

Elsewhere - the food there has improved so much, really, it's almost edible now

Peach and Bologna sandwich is a specialty of inner NJ, where for some reason it is known as a droopy joe.

Ashkenazi food is the result of exclusionary religious practices and therefore can't be enjoyed. Other food is being reviewed.

Daniel recently formed "vegans against chick-fil-atio". 

That's what I learned from the discussion so far.

55 minutes ago, joethefoodie said:

Don't give up the day job!

Jobs.. Also I eat honey so, I am not a vegan... First honey, next lamb testicles. 

• Like 1

Don't forget that my day job (ok, not in the sense that it is how I make a living but still) is to sell snail and foot sandwiches.

Anyway, back to our topic. Asking rents on new restaurant space listings are at 80% of pre-covid levels and that's before the bulk of the inventory hits the market. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Jobs.. Also I eat honey so, I am not a vegan... First honey, next lamb testicles. 

I have a good friend who is a militant vegan. With a capital "M" and "V."  When I heard the thing about not eating honey, I pretty much gave up. Also, she weighs like 80 pounds, and 10 of those pounds has to be tattoo ink.

7 minutes ago, Orik said:

Don't forget that my day job (ok, not in the sense that it is how I make a living but still) is to sell snail and foot sandwiches.

Anyway, back to our topic. Asking rents on new restaurant space listings are at 80% of pre-covid levels and that's before the bulk of the inventory hits the market. 

Right, right. Don't give up the "other" jobs either! We need the snail foot sandwiches.

• Like 1