3 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

Indeed, if The Inn at Little Washington is still excellent (and again, I have no way of knowing), that's newsworthy in itself.  Since the current model -- very different from the way it used to be -- is that top restaurants almost never maintain their quality over the long haul.  Part of that is because now chefs are looking to establish empires (or chains), so always have their attention focused on the next new venture rather than on an old one.  But another part is that the way the food media developed, only new restaurants get any attention, so there's less incentive to maintain quality at old ones and a greater incentive to keep your eye on the next one.

I mean, the guy bought a very old town that he has transformed into his own world. . He gets invited to have lunch with the Queen of England..  He, i am sure entertains dignitaries from around the world. He has more success than I can almost think of any other chef.  He built it and they came. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ADNY Caught in a cycle where they have to increase prices because they don't get enough customers thus discouraging new customers. Plus the food isn’t very good.   Pure Food and Wine If Roxanne

ADNY is not a loss leader for the whole Ducasse organization. I doubt that that many people would go to Ducasse's French/Italian establishments because they experienced a good meal at ADNY. If they a

Here are the details:   "SAM DE MARCO has closed FIRST, his 10-year-old restaurant at 87 First Avenue (Fifth Street). He will be the consulting chef at MOVIDA, a nightclub and lounge opening soon at

Posted Images

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

I mean, the guy bought a very old town that he has transformed into his own world. . He gets invited to have lunch with the Queen of England..  He, i am sure entertains dignitaries from around the world. He has more success than I can almost think of any other chef.  He built it and they came. 

Never heard of him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 5:38 PM, Sneakeater said:

Mont Blanc 52

For good this time.

It's hard to imagine being without it.

Tragic. I was a regular at both locations for years. Such nice people.

On 8/27/2020 at 11:38 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

Has anyone here been to Blackberry Farm?

Very late to this one, but I've been maybe half a dozen times. Labor Day Weekend year over year with my kids. It was fine. It's a gorgeous property in a gorgeous part of America. The cottages and houses that we have stayed in over the years are very nice. The concerts are great and intimate. 

The food is excellent and heavy. Menu doesn't change much over a week, or year over year. Low country eating at it's best. The wine and bourbon selection is incredible.

We eventually stopped going because (1) the service is fine, but not incredible; (2) everything is  a production to do; (3) it's absurdly expensive. 

And note that the MTA simultaneously offered (or proposed offering -- not sure which) the Grand Central food vendors a new temporary lease deal under which their rent would be set as a percentage of revenues.

I think it's pretty safe to say that there will always be something there called "The Oyster Bar".  Whether the current owner/operators can make it to the end of the pandemic is another question.

Maybe Major Food Group will take it over.