Anaheim

My recommendation would be not to go especially now that taco Maria closed but I would say Hue Oi and Brodard are both better Vietnamese than you can get in NY (Brodard is practically a factory). Others worth visiting in OC include Chaak, Knife Pleat, lots and lots of sushi. I like omakase by Gino. If you’re traveling to LA there’s a ton to eat and I can make other recos like Sushi Inaba and Kin Kan.

Well, if you can get into Club 33 in Disneyland you might get some different food as well as libations.  Mostly in the adjacent areas you might find surf and turf places.  But if you want a place that speaks to the Orange County everyman, go to Norm's in Santa Ana and have one of their huge breakfasts with steak (tenderized to the max), eggs, etc. 

• Like 1

Anaheim, schmanaheim. You can get to so many places from there. You're just a few miles from Artesia AKA Little India, which has many delightful small Indian shops and restaurants. I've been gone for so many years now that I have no idea what is new and wonderful in the area, but you're so near Long Beach which probably still has many great places and for another taste of local, go the other direction down to Santa Ana and find one of the many small family-owned Mexican restaurants.

If you are indeed stuck in Anaheim, what Hollywood said--try to get into Club 33, as it is an experience like none other. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you never know. One of my best restaurant meals of the year.

Scrolling through possibilities, the Michelin website offered me Poppy & Seed in the Packing District, a short car trip from my hotel. The other option that kept coming up was The Ranch, but that was a steakhouse and P&S looked more imaginative. It was set in a small building, open on all sides to a small park with outdoor tables. Attractive but informal but with perfect service. It's Black-owned, the chef is Michael Reed.

Pork belly to start with figs over a really interesting salad, a lot of flavors and a few fierce peppers. Then smoked duck breast. Now this wasn't 100% chew free, but the chew was minimal. It did come with the same salad as the first plate, but I had ordered a side of mushrooms (hen of the woods and others), served over a pea puree with a soft egg yolk on top to break over it. This was really good food.

Champagne; red wines. They didn't have a list of dessert wines but found a bottle of Iniskillen and basically emptied it into my glass. Excellent espresso.

FOH was utterly charming. The maitre d' was all over my jacket but I told her that her hair was better. Great night, and if any of you are going to Anaheim next week...

Photos will follow.

• Like 1