Not Paris

Anthony Bonner

Going with the Fam to the Southwest this summer. Into out of Toulouse.

Any places in a relatively wide driving distance you see as a can't miss. Especially food and accomodations. I spent a lot of time in region as a kid but the last time I was there was 1991 so I'm sure nothing has changed. My cousins lived in Revel so I know that area east of Toulouse reasonably well.

Also always looking for good ways to find places to stay. Like years ago I recall Ori talking up Hegia which no longer exists but I would love to find places like that. Or a good resource for renting a house somewhere.

Have not booked any stays other than the first few nights in Toulouse to get the kids over Jet Lag.

Biarritz? Dordogne? Is Carcassonne even worth it or so overwhelmed with tourists it's not fun?

Also any French language planning resources that are really obvious?

Edited by Anthony Bonner

Foie appetizer followed by foie mains

On 4/24/2024 at 8:57 AM, Anthony Bonner said:

Biarritz? Dordogne? Is Carcassonne even worth it or so overwhelmed with tourists it's not fun?

I don't know how Carcassonne is but Rocamadour is very touristy but nice if you're in the area.

Plan for plenty of foie in the Dordogne, but note a lot of driving is on country roads and will take you a bit longer than you imagine or maybe it seems that way because you're full of foie. Le Moulin de l'Abbaye was (and I assume still is) very good and maybe you get some wild duck with the foie. Lots of very high quality b&bs around, although 

The Biarritz - Espelette - SJPsP route is nice and with pretty great mountain nature opportunities on your way back to Toulouse, but then maybe San Sebastian if you're that far southwest? 

We were only in Toulouse on one of the days when everything is closed (Monday? Tuesday?) and it is even more closed than Lyon, so plan around that if you can. 

Coastal orientation:   Haven't been here in several years but always booked first night in the area at Freres Ibarboure in Bidart.    Spacious rooms, lovely welcome, quite acceptable dinners and sublime in-room breakfast service.     A great stop before driving east into interior Pays Basques.    Inland destination was Hotel Arce in Saint Etienne de Baigorry, a lovely foothill town from which to explore the area.  This area and these people/hosts stole my heart.

Edited by voyager
  • Like 1