Kikujiro

Gigs

In Chicago for work. Snow is falling and TSA and ATC not showing up, I rebook for Saturday and score a good ticket for the Tedeschi Trucks Band. New bass player and keyboard player but the band still rocks and Derek Trucks is the greatest living guitar player on the planet. Sure there are shredders but no one plays to the mood of of the song or the crowd like Trucks. Susan remains one of the more soulful singers.

• Like 1

I don’t know when I last went to a live jazz set in New York. I used to go to a lot, and I used to go to a lot (a huge number) of comedy shows, but there are some things which ebb and flow in one’s life.

But I’ve long admired Vijay Iyer, so picked up a ticket for the Jazz Standard this evening. Nice venue, good show.

ETA Although I’m not sure who I last saw at the Jazz Standard, I have a clear recollection that Debbie Harry was watching the show from the bar.

Oh yeah, she will be - for the one upcoming.

But I think they also gig regularly w/o her, and I was wondering if perhaps she was watching them from the bar, at the gig Wilfrid was referring to.

I really can’t remember; it’s possible. Did see them with Debbie a couple of times, once I know was the Jazz Cafe in London.

Last night in San Francisco I happened to be in a multi-room club, The Speakeasy, that had a performance space where Tom Kenny and the Hi Seas were at work.  For a 12 piece group (including three female singers) they are a not too special good time party music outfit, playing mostly golden oldies from the 50s and 60s.  Luckily, this is not Tom Kenny's main source of income, if any.  Rather he has prospered by being the voice of Spongebob and writing some songs for Spongebob movies.  

Anyhow, toward the end of their set, Kenny brought out an aging musician (72) who played some guitar and sounded pretty tired.  But rock 'n' roll never forgets.  Turns out this was none other than Roy Loney, who was with the Flamin' Groovies in their early years when he co-wrote "Teenage Head" and other tunes.

Still staggering on?  Good to know.

ETA:  From last summer. 70 year old Cyril Jordan on guitar: he's been wearing that outrageous wig for a while now (he was quite bald as a young man).

Staggering is an apt discription.  Loney is more upright and animated in the video than he was Saturday night.  But it was 1 a.m.

In Chicago for work. Snow is falling and TSA and ATC not showing up, I rebook for Saturday and score a good ticket for the Tedeschi Trucks Band. New bass player and keyboard player but the band still rocks and Derek Trucks is the greatest living guitar player on the planet. Sure there are shredders but no one plays to the mood of of the song or the crowd like Trucks. Susan remains one of the more soulful singers.

A link to TTB's new album, recorded live at their home studio. https://www.npr.org/2019/02/07/691387918/first-listen-tedeschi-trucks-band-signs?fbclid=IwAR3ZXvgPtX7KehXZ4iXoxYpBxn4NoGMH7M2JmolBv9MoPCrT2qqurPr0H2Y

• Like 1

Last night in San Francisco I happened to be in a multi-room club, The Speakeasy, that had a performance space where Tom Kenny and the Hi Seas were at work.  For a 12 piece group (including three female singers) they are a not too special good time party music outfit, playing mostly golden oldies from the 50s and 60s.  Luckily, this is not Tom Kenny's main source of income, if any.  Rather he has prospered by being the voice of Spongebob and writing some songs for Spongebob movies.  

Anyhow, toward the end of their set, Kenny brought out an aging musician (72) who played some guitar and sounded pretty tired.  But rock 'n' roll never forgets.  Turns out this was none other than Roy Loney, who was with the Flamin' Groovies in their early years when he co-wrote "Teenage Head" and other tunes.

Just saw this - Tom Kenny was one of the San Francisco bay area comics who was a regular on the circuit in the late 70s - 80s. He always did these great cartoon impressions, or impressions of cartoon characters, and he even looked like a few of them. In addition to the impressions, he could do all those cool sounds from the old cartoons. Sponge Bob therefore did not surprise.