• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

• 1 month later...

Gigs I would be going to, or would have so far...

couple of Graham Parker's

Jon Langford - tonight at Union Hall

Robbie Fulks (yeah, I like the Bloodshot crew)

Was gonna go take Sig Eater to one of these Elton gigs at either Brooklyn or MSG.

I'm worried about the Lucinda Williams residency at City Winery.

I keep seeing refunds from my credit card company - I don't even know what most of them are for!

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2018 at 1:22 AM, AaronS said:

demilich with blood incantation and artificial brain.

a cd version of part of blood incantation's set just arrived, which is the first time that a show that I attended has ended up as official release, which is kind of surprising.* the fact that it's one of my favorite bands makes it even better.

*the fugazi live series doesn't count in my mind. I was at dozens of them and there's one where ian mckaye asked me what I wanted to hear them play after he finished berating the guy next to me for improper behavrior, which I should pick up because it probably includes my voice.  but their music has aged really poorly to me and I'd never listen to it.

I loved them when I was in high school, and their invitation only 10th anniversary show was the best show I'd seen at the time. (I snuck in, and someone vouched for me when they tried to throw me out.) at the time I thought they never managed to get a decent recording of their live show, and even the cds of that anniversary show don't sound good to me anymore. 

• 7 months later...
On 10/26/2019 at 12:07 AM, hollywood said:

Saw Black Pumas at the Lodge Room in Highland Park Thursday night.  This is an odd little venue (capacity 500 but probably was about 650 attendees) I had not been to before.  Great sound.  The Pumas are the real deal.  This is basically their set list as they do a few more US dates before returning to Europe.  

Intro, Next to You, More Than a Love Song, Red Rover, Old Man, Know You Better, Black Moon Rising, Mrs. Postman, Stay Gold, Ain’t No Love in the Heart of the City (Bobby “Blue” Bland cover),  I Am Ready, OCT 33, Etta James, Colors.  Encore: Dirty, Dirty (Neil Young cover with Mr. Francis).

It's clear from listening to their performance that they can recreate their album note for note.  Instead they flesh out the tunes by extended bridges with Mr. Burton doing some athletic dance moves, entry into the crowd and audience participation.  The guy has a great soul voice.  Mr. Quesada has all the right guitar moves.

The opener was the Neal Francis Band out of Chicago.  Basically, a New Orleans funk outfit that sounds like a white guy doing a passable version of Dr. John.

And a little over a year later, a Grammy nomination and a gig at the inaugural concert. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 4:02 AM, mitchells said:

And a little over a year later, a Grammy nomination and a gig at the inaugural concert. 

I started listening to them when Hollywood posted. I've never been so ahead of the curve! 

• Like 1