This doesn't matter to anyone, or mean anything to this thread, but what the fuck. I grew up near Austin St. (on Juno St. actually, until we made that fancy move out to Nassau County), and there was a place my mother used to take me to (on Austin St.) that I absolutely loved. It was a counter lunch place (which probably had tables too, but who remembers?). And it had a (Lionel?) train set that ran around the whole restaurant counter, and your sandwich or whatever would get delivered via train. (Or is it possible I'm dreaming this whole scenario? I didn't start getting high till many years later, so...)

I also remember (and this doesn't matter to anyone, but what the fuck) each year around summer, giant banners hung over Queens Blvd. announcing the U. S. Open (and of course, it was played on grass at that time). Passing by that stadium, where you probably saw the show @mitchells, also intrigued me greatly as a kid. I've still never been inside.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

It's one of the better outdoor venues around.  Easy to get in and out, no seat far away and good sound. And because of the 11PM curfew, shows generally start on time. And where else can you occasionally find a tennis ball near a urinal?😁 (No, I did not pick it up)

7 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

This doesn't matter to anyone, or mean anything to this thread, but what the fuck. I grew up near Austin St. (on Juno St. actually, until we made that fancy move out to Nassau County), and there was a place my mother used to take me to (on Austin St.) that I absolutely loved. It was a counter lunch place (which probably had tables too, but who remembers?). And it had a (Lionel?) train set that ran around the whole restaurant counter, and your sandwich or whatever would get delivered via train. (Or is it possible I'm dreaming this whole scenario? I didn't start getting high till many years later, so...)

There was one of those in my town, too!  (I know they were affiliated, and not just two guys on Long Island having the same great idea, from this old Chowhound thread.)

• Like 1

My second gig since things started opening up, Nellie McKay at Birdland.

A familiar Nellie set, although she just seems to get better and better at the piano. Stride, ragtime.

She starts with some sweetheart ballads, sung in her very precise, sweet voice, then about four or five songs in she does "Hungry Freaks (Daddy)," then it's all politics and outrage. Great stuff.

• Like 1
On 9/13/2021 at 6:11 AM, joethefoodie said:

I also remember (and this doesn't matter to anyone, but what the fuck) each year around summer, giant banners hung over Queens Blvd. announcing the U. S. Open (and of course, it was played on grass at that time). Passing by that stadium, where you probably saw the show @mitchells, also intrigued me greatly as a kid. I've still never been inside.

Yeah, he saw the show at the stadium but that stadium was re-built maybe 10-15 years ago so its not the old one that the tournament used.  I'm pretty sure its not even in the old space but I can be wrong on that.