1 minute ago, Wilfrid said:

I am excited. Adia tomorrow, Trombone Shorty next week. 

I'm on a great run myself since July 29: Tedeschi Trucks at Red Rocks, Gov't Mule, Joe Russo's Almost Dead, Jason Isbell and My Morning Jacket in two weeks. All at really nice outdoor venues. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

It's on me, I follow every move Hinds make on social media and know where they are every hour of the day (not a Sneak recommendation); 

In certain circles, that's known as stalking.

The venue tonight is truly spectacular in its way.  Of course, if it's raining, the venue sucks, and it's why I really don't love the whole summer outdoor concert stuff. At least not where we live.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:27 PM, mitchells said:

PS, don't miss the opening act, Adia Victoria. 

She was fantastic. And I realized I was actually familiar with her work. There was an article last year about Isbell that I read where they talked about the people he chooses to open for him and she was mentioned which led me down a youtube rabbit hole one night.

On 8/31/2022 at 10:23 PM, mitchells said:

He has written so many truly amazing songs. His lyrics stay with you forever.  Here is the song I referenced above. Who else writes songs like this:

As soon as he started playing this I knew it was the one you were referring to.

Magical, fierce. Although I have seen her videos I did not expect such a physically committed performance. She is there in body. 

“I sing the blues but with some existential philosophy in there like Camus came down to the South.”

Isbell came out to play slide on “Born to Die.”

A9B0C630-F9CF-4666-9368-2292D7A6B2E0.jpeg

A7430EA6-829E-4A8C-8A76-FD266E1BBDDB.jpeg

FE91304A-414A-455D-8FC5-DCB5A54A5D5F.jpeg

I feel very lucky to have seen each of the artists I have been obsessed with for the past year live in the city. So struck by my different reactions. I walked away from Hinds (best pop band in the world if you don’t count ABBA) so happy and joyous and feeling like I’m 18 again. I walk away from Adia deeply stirred, moved and like not smiling.

Both such valuable experiences.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, bloviatrix said:

Did you stay for Isbell? Because she joined him on stage at the end for a song.

I thought she might, but I didn’t stay to the end. Saw maybe half of Isbell’s set. His band was terrific, I liked what I heard, and obviously he’s a really good guy. I don’t know his music at all though.

You were there? 

I feel very lucky to have seen each of the artists I have been obsessed with for the past year live in the city. So struck by my different reactions. I walked away from Hinds (best pop band in the world if you don’t count ABBA) so happy and joyous and feeling like I’m 18 again. I walk away from Adia deeply stirred, moved and like not smiling.

Both such valuable experiences.

This is exactly why going to see live music is my favorite thing to do. 

I thought she might, but I didn’t stay to the end. Saw maybe half of Isbell’s set. His band was terrific, I liked what I heard, and obviously he’s a really good guy. I don’t know his music at all though.

You were there? 

I was there - spouse scored tickets. It was my second time seeing Isbell. Not very familiar with his music but I thought he sounded great. Beautiful night. Excellent venue. It was charming when he brought his daughter out on stage and sang Happy Birthday to her.