• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

4 hours ago, joethefoodie said:

That place looks as if 3 or 4 acts a night. When I went to see a show nearby last week, doors at 7, 2 openers, the headliner did not come on until 10. I can't imagine much before that.

They have two or more openers most nights, but only one listed for the night I'm going. Maybe I'll get out a little earlier.

One of the best things that happened during Covid is most shows now start on time. Every show I saw in New Orleans in April  started within 10 minutes of the posted start time. Same for the last 4 shows I saw this summer. Not one started later than 10 minutes after the announced time. 

New Orleans was somewhat famous for shows starting over an hour after the posted start time. 

The shows go to tend to be in places where it's not so much that they have to start on time, but they have end by a certain time. Some of the shows I saw this past summer (outdoors) were at places that had 10 PM noise curfews, so the 7 PM starting time was adhered to quite vigorously.

9 hours ago, Sneakeater said:

I don't really care about schlepping and getting home late (I go to shows almost every night).  But I find sitting around (or even worse, standing around) for an hour waiting for a show to start intolerable.

When I went to a show a few weeks ago at Brooklyn Made, it was doors at 7, and 2 opening acts. I got there around 8:30 - asked one of the door people what time the headliner was coming on - 10 PM...went to a bar down the block, sat myself down, and didn't go back to the venue until 9:45. It started at exactly 10. 

1 minute ago, joethefoodie said:

Some of the shows I saw this past summer (outdoors) were at places that had 10 PM noise curfews, so the 7 PM starting time was adhered to quite vigorously.

Why I love Forest Hills.