Handsome Dick sounded (and looked) much better last time I heard him with the Dictators, some 4 years back. But he's hilarious and I'll always love him. Did you see the huge Star of David he was wearing with that sequined blue shirt? Kramer (another member of the tribe?) too sounded better last time I heard him - in Austin perhaps, solo or with Helldorado. But I love MC5 all the same and it was grand to hear the tunes, live and in the Park with all them original fellers. The drummer was especially impressive and you're right Wilf, about Lisa as a vocalist. She really holds the band together...plus did you see her legs?!?!!?? Amazing.

Course, I'm quite fond of the Sun Ra Ark, especially when they hit those terrifically refined BeBop strides - their facility with being inside and outside always astounds me. Some of their music really does sound as if transmitted from another planet, and then they pull it all together so seamlessly.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

Saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre at Bowery Ballroom last night. With two openers, the BJM didn't go on till after 11, and spent nearly as much time tuning as they did playing. Which meant maybe six songs in 45 minutes (two of the songs were ten-minute opuses) If anyone ever need a guitar tech, it's Anton (though he probably wouldn't trust them). When they played, they were brilliant. It was about 12:15, the BJM were into minute 12 of some bliss-out drone thing and I had to call it a night. They seemed willing to play all night, though, and may just have.

For y'all DIG! fans, Anton was mouthy as usual, and visibly drunk and slurring, but it didn't affect his playing. There was some attempts at baiting from the crowd, but he seemed to be in good spirits. Their current drummer is AMAZING. I think a lot of people went to the show hoping for antics, but were won over by the rock (when it was being played, that is). Adam Shore (the then TVT A&R guy seen in the movie a lot, now VP of hipster label Vice Records) was standing beside me for most of the show. He was digging it.

The drummer was especially impressive and you're right Wilf, about Lisa as a vocalist. She really holds the band together...plus did you see her legs?!?!!?? Amazing.

Did I see her legs? I was relieved she was wearing underwear. :blink:

Went to Summergarden at MoMA last night. I have never experienced more nearly perfect weather for an outdoor concert. The re-design of the garden includes an area at the western end that serves as a kind of bandshell, with a raised platform for the performers, allowing good sightlines for the audience and a flat cantilevered roof two stories over their heads that seems to aid projection and acoustics.

Juilliard students under the direction of Joel Sachs performed a number of serious contemporary pieces, some of which in their U.S. debut and a couple of which were of more than usual interest.

This was the third concert in the 6-week series. The concerts alternate between jazz and contemporary serious music. Refreshments included Laboratorio de Gelato sorbet and ice cream and a nice-looking white sangria.

Saw the Brian Jonestown Massacre at Bowery Ballroom last night. With two openers, the BJM didn't go on till after 11, and spent nearly as much time tuning as they did playing. Which meant maybe six songs in 45 minutes (two of the songs were ten-minute opuses) If anyone ever need a guitar tech, it's Anton (though he probably wouldn't trust them). When they played, they were brilliant. It was about 12:15, the BJM were into minute 12 of some bliss-out drone thing and I had to call it a night. They seemed willing to play all night, though, and may just have.

For y'all DIG! fans, Anton was mouthy as usual, and visibly drunk and slurring, but it didn't affect his playing. There was some attempts at baiting from the crowd, but he seemed to be in good spirits. Their current drummer is AMAZING. I think a lot of people went to the show hoping for antics, but were won over by the rock (when it was being played, that is). Adam Shore (the then TVT A&R guy seen in the movie a lot, now VP of hipster label Vice Records) was standing beside me for most of the show. He was digging it.

I was there too, and guess what - I also left after the band propped their guitars on stage and left them indefinitely droning with feedback.

Now, I haven't seen these guys before, but between four and six "songs", interspersed not only with tuning up but with Anton reeling around the stage out of his head, chatting (inaudibly) with the front row of the audience, and berating his terrified backing musicians fell a bit short of a brilliant show for me. On the other hand, it entirely lived up to the expectations created by the DIG! movie.

Let's not understate it - this guy was out of his tree. He kept muttering darkly about having been unable to finish the set the previous night, so it was no surprise they seemed incapable of getting through it on Sunday: and yet both nights were sold out.

The upside - the glorious three-guitar interweaving, delicate but rocking, psychedelic riffs the band create. Over the top of this, Anton lays some occasional out-of-tune vocals, which almost makes them "songs". This is someone who has desperately needed a collaborator/editor/vocalist in the band, but since he can barely stand to be on the stage with his backing musicians, that's not on the cards.

I thought he treated them brutally. He forced the band to play the coda to one piece again and again, interminably, while staring at the drummer as if daring him to fall behind. The guy nearly passed out when Anton finally brought the number to a close, and Anton spent the next five minutes kneeling by the drumstool, giving him gulps of water to try to revive him.

It was a very interesting way to spend fifteen bucks and forty-five minutes, but a together band with a career in prospect this is not.

The upside - the glorious three-guitar interweaving, delicate but rocking, psychedelic riffs the band create. Over the top of this, Anton lays some occasional out-of-tune vocals, which almost makes them "songs". This is someone who has desperately needed a collaborator/editor/vocalist in the band, but since he can barely stand to be on the stage with his backing musicians, that's not on the cards.

I thought he treated them brutally. He forced the band to play the coda to one piece again and again, interminably, while staring at the drummer as if daring him to fall behind. The guy nearly passed out when Anton finally brought the number to a close, and Anton spent the next five minutes kneeling by the drumstool, giving him gulps of water to try to revive him.

I was wondering what was going on when Anton went behind the drumkit... I wasn't close enough to the stage to see or hear any of that, though I have no doubt. The two songs before the drone thing were great, though.

MIA at Summerstage yesterday. I have never,ever seen so many people at one of these things. The audience both inside and out on the hill consisted of every sort of person imaginable and of every age,race and stripe including what appeared to be most of the population of Williamsburg.

MIA's 'special guests', chosen by DJ Rekha, included some worth the trip, some not, but she was great even if she didn't make an appearance until after 6 PM (the thing started at three). She's energetic, electrifying and puts on some show. We were quite exhausted and sweaty by the end, but very happy.

MIA at Summerstage yesterday. I have never,ever seen so many people at one of these things.  The audience both inside and out on the hill consisted of every sort of person imaginable and of every age,race and stripe including what appeared to be most of the population of Williamsburg.

MIA's 'special guests', chosen by DJ Rekha, included some worth the trip, some not, but she was great even if she didn't make an appearance until after 6 PM (the thing started at three).  She's energetic, electrifying and puts on some show. We were quite exhausted and sweaty by the end, but very happy.

MIA's good. And it's so much easier to pronounce than Maya Arulpragasam.

M.I.A_350x350.jpg

Secret Machines/Kings of Leon: one of those rare shows where I enjoyed the opening act more than the headliner.

Much as I enjoyed the show last night, I have to say that I am seriously thinking of avoiding the 9:30 Club from now on. Every show is like a damn frat party, a sea of young men in flip flops spilling beer on each other and taking pictures on their cell phones. Bah.

Teenage Fanclub

Really enjoyed this. There's something really sweet about their music, and the fact that they all look like slightly nerdy dads these days. I was never really into them, but their old songs were part of the soundtrack to my uni days. Everything Flows and the Concept at the very end finally got the crowd going.

The contrast with the last time we went to the Metro (to see Krafty Kuts) was extreme - for that gig it was all nippers busting their moves with everyone off their heads, for this it was thirty-somethings out on a schoolnight trying not to drink too much!

Did anyone reading along ever see the Stone Roses in their heyday? By the time I got into their music I'd missed seeing them live (well, not for their death throes, but I don't think I missed much there).