The Fall are playing an in-store at the Union Square Virgin Megastore on Friday, October 15 at 6pm and will sign copies of their latest album afterwards -- if you can imagine Mark E. Smith doing that. They're also playing Friday night at NorthSix in Williamsburg and on Saturday at Asterix in Bushwick.

This is all part of the CMJ Music Marathon with descends on NYC about this time every year and starts today. A zillion bands are playing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

The Fall are playing an in-store at the Union Square Virgin Megastore on Friday, October 15 at 6pm and will sign copies of their latest album afterwards -- if you can imagine Mark E. Smith doing that. They're also playing Friday night at NorthSix in Williamsburg and on Saturday at Asterix in Bushwick.

I was at NorthSix recently to see my pet punk band, Shellshocked, and was taken aback by the posters announcing The Fall. It's a very basic little venue. Bare brick walls too, and they sell earplugs at the bar for good reason.

Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Guy Clark at the Beacon last night. Just the four of them on stage, taking turns singing/playing solo, and they all joined together on 'This Land is Your Land' (complete with the two last verses) at the end. Pure pleasure.

Sounds like a great line-up. Cathy, have you ever seen the Flatlanders (Joe Ely, Jimmie Dale Gilmore and Butch Hancock)? They are pretty damn good too. I saw Ely solo about 8 years ago in the Birchmere, a dive in Arlington, VA, and he tore down the house.

Never seen the Flatlanders in concert, Daisy, but I like 'em. Yeah, last night was amazing. The acoustics at the Beacon are excellent (unless you're stuck in the upper balcony), and it's a small enough venue that concerts feel really intimate. John Hiatt's 'Ethylene' just killed me.

Franz Ferdinand at Brixton Academy last night. Played most of album, dare I say sounded better live as had a heavier feel, and a few new tracks including I'm you villian that they played on Frank Skinner the night before. One new track in particular that I didn't catch the name of was superb. A brilliant gig, well worth catching.

Lyle Lovett, Joe Ely, John Hiatt and Guy Clark at the Beacon last night. Just the four of them on stage, taking turns singing/playing solo, and they all joined together on 'This Land is Your Land' (complete with the two last verses) at the end. Pure pleasure.

What a line-up. I've seen all those dudes play, but never together. I love Clark's Desperados Waiting for A Train and L.A. Freeway. Hiatt's last album was really well-done.

and yes, the Flatlanders are amazing.

Franz Ferdinand at Brixton Academy last night. Played most of album, dare I say sounded better live as had a heavier feel, and a few new tracks including I'm you villian that they played on Frank Skinner the night before. One new track in particular that I didn't catch the name of was superb. A brilliant gig, well worth catching.

I was with him :D

Heads up in NYC:

Montreal's Broken Social Scene are playing Bowery Ballroom on December 13. A musical "collective" whose membership fluxuates depending on whose available to tour at the time, BSS are nonetheless seriously one of the best live bands out there today. If you haven't heard them, it's melodic, somewhat epic indie rock -- when there are 10 people on stage it's bound to get a little grand. Some songs have a Dinosaur Jr. feel to them, others are beautiful space rock. Their album You Forgot it In People was one of last year's best. I've seen them a number of times, and I can't reccomend them highly enough. The show is pricey by Bowery Ballroom standards -- $20 -- but certainly worth it. They're opening for one of the Pixies dates at the Hammerstien and have been kind enough to grace us with a headlining show on their own.

Get your advance tickets here. This show will sell out and they're not likely to play anywhere this small next time.