• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Last week, Norah Jones at the Hammersmith Apollo. I know, I know, and I was not sure why I'd booked even before it started. I mean, I've never bought the new album. But as I'm sure I bored everyone wi

Going to see the Finn brothers in Central Park this evening. I assumed it would have sold out, but I got a message pushing half price tickets which I couldn't resist. Think it will piss down?  

Saw the Cowboy Junkies again last night, in an ice cold Beacon Theater. They had to wind up a ninety minute set at 11pm - union rules - which is a pity, as I think the audience would have loved anoth

Posted Images

OOIOO (pronounced o as in otto, o as in otto, eye, o as in otto, o as in otto) gave a very good performance at the Knitting Factory last night. It's hard to define their style, but it's certainly far from both Japanese saccharine pop and Japanses noise music.

Yoshimi, their lead singer (who battles pink robots) has an extraordinary vocal range and overall their musical capabilities were a bit too good for a punk(?) band. Recommended.

Kim Gordon opened with something quite terrible, but mercifully brief.

Had a good new dish at Han Bat on the way home - seafood bibimbop with sesame leaves.

• 1 month later...

Last night I caught this year's final show in Yo La Tengo's quasi-annual, eight-night Hanukkah stand at Maxwell's in Hoboken. They certainly sounded good. And loud. Opener Calvin Johnson joined the band for several numbers, including a fantastic rendition of River Deep, Mountain High. Surprise guests: Feelies Glen and Dave, who played several numbers and joined in a blistering version of I'm A Believer. All in all a terrific show, and one which lasted from 8:30 until slightly after 1 AM. Informed sources tell me Wreckless Eric was a guest earlier in the week and was great.

• 3 weeks later...

St. Louis Symphony Orchestra, David Roberston Conductor

New Year's Eve Performance

Orpheus in the Underworld Offenbach

Coppelia Delibes

Eugene Onegin Tchaikovsky

Circus Polka Stravinsky

Sobre Las Osas Rosas

Saudades do Brazil Milhaud

Estancia Ginastera

The Chairman Dances John Adams

Tap Dance Concerto (with Lane Alexander) Gould

On the Town Bernstein

Variations on "I Got Rhythm" Gershwin

Polovstian Dances from Prince Igor Borodin

A very fun and entertaining apropos of New Year's Eve.

David Robertson is the best conductor in the United States, if not the world. I wonder how long St. Louis can keep him?

Word is recent Shortlist winners TV on the Radio are playing a unannounced show at Trash in Williamsburg tonight at 10pm. It will probably be a mob scene, but you're not likely to see them play anywhere that small again in NYC.

Another show to look out for: Montreal's The Dears who gave one of the best live shows I saw last year. There is some Morrissey and Blur in their music, but also some Francopop and crunchy shoegazey stuff in there as well. January 15th at Mercury Lounge. This show will sell out but you can still get them through ticketweb for $10.

Word is recent Shortlist winners TV on the Radio are playing a unannounced show at Trash in Williamsburg tonight at 10pm.  It will probably be a mob scene, but you're not likely to see them play anywhere that small again in NYC.

Woohoo! Thanks for the tip, BB! I'm going to try and stop by after work.

I'm also probably going to check out Neon Thrills at the Mercury Lounge tomorrow.

Word is recent Shortlist winners TV on the Radio are playing a unannounced show at Trash in Williamsburg tonight at 10pm.  It will probably be a mob scene, but you're not likely to see them play anywhere that small again in NYC.

Woohoo! Thanks for the tip, BB! I'm going to try and stop by after work.

I'm also probably going to check out Neon Thrills at the Mercury Lounge tomorrow.

Word of warning about the TVotR show... I'd get there as early as possible.

Bonus on tomorrow's Merc Lounge show. I guess the Giraffe's had to cancel and Ambulance LTD (whose album is great if you haven't heard it) are playing in their place. I think this just happened. I'm going to try and go for sure.

Coming to Thee Knitting Facktory this weekend, Thee Majesty, featuring thee Genesis P.Orridge of Indeterminate Gender, formerly of Throbbing Gristle, Thee Temple ov Psychick Youth, and Psychick TV. Should be magickal. Supported by Thee Suicide. Rocket, rocket USA.

Now, where did I put my curiously stained ripped leather jacket with the dead rat pinned to the collar?

For those in NYC, Sweden's excellent The Soundtrack of Our Lives play Bowery Ballroom on Tuesday, January 18. If you're unfamiliar with them, TSOOL are sort of like every good rock band from '67 -'73 all rolled into one (The Who, the Stones, The Beatles, at least, with some of Spirit's trippy earth mother vibe as well). Super-catchy songs, crammed with riffs and hooks and dumb but inoffensive psychedelic lyrics.

Live, they pull out all the tricks -- rock star moves, guitar windmills, stick-twirling -- and the singer is a force of nature, resembling Grizzly Adams at a Renaissance festival. You can get an idea of what they're like from the videos on their website (click on Media) -- "Sister Surround" and "20th Century Ripoff" especially. They are just so much fun live, I can't reccomend a show more highly. Tickets are $15 and still available.

Isn't it strange that most successful nyc/montreal bands of 2004 sound like they could have existed 20 years ago?

bonito -- thanks for the The Dears tip. It does sound like morrissey + air. (althought the opening chords on "Lost in the Plot" could have come from The Cranes)

Isn't it strange that most successful nyc/montreal bands of 2004 sound like they could have existed 20 years ago?

bonito -- thanks for the The Dears tip. It does sound like morrissey + air. (althought the opening chords on "Lost in the Plot" could have come from The Cranes)

There's some Blur in there too (especially "Lost in the Plot"). Orik, are you going to see them on Saturday?

Strangely, history has slowed down for popular music. It's a remarkable phenomenon. In 1964, the cutting edge of popular music was almost incommensurably different from twenty years previously. The Beatles/Glenn Miller. Today, bands of twenty - even thirty - years ago sound like our contemporaries. I walked into a bar recently, and they were playing Patti Smith's Horses. Thirty years old, but could have been released last week.