Cabbage

bloviatrix

How are you all roasting the cabbage: as a whole head or in quarters (or otherwise)? I’ve seen various versions on the internets. Also “slow” roasted? Every search with that seems to return recipes calling for high heat. As I eat a lot of (braised) cabbage, I’m quite looking forward to trying this.

7 hours ago, cinghiale said:

How are you all roasting the cabbage: as a whole head or in quarters (or otherwise)? I’ve seen various versions on the internets. Also “slow” roasted? Every search with that seems to return recipes calling for high heat. As I eat a lot of (braised) cabbage, I’m quite looking forward to trying this.

27 minutes ago, Sneakeater said:

Quarters.  I do indeed do high heat. 

Yeah, same here.  Tossed (drizzled?) with olive oil, salt, pepper...I like to cook around 375℉ - 400℉ - usually in the countertop oven.

On 12/20/2023 at 1:25 AM, cinghiale said:

I'm a brown food person. I cut into chunks, toss with oil and seasonings, roast at 425 until it looks right, then switch the oven to air fry to brown it. 

It's deeply Romanian to prepare the same dishes (sarmale, that cabbage stew that is somewhere between choucroute and bigos, cabbage and noodles (pad thai?), etc.) with fresh young cabbage starting spring and into summer and then with increasingly fermented cabbage going into winter. 

15 minutes ago, Orik said:

It's deeply Romanian to prepare the same dishes (sarmale, that cabbage stew that is somewhere between choucroute and bigos, cabbage and noodles (pad thai?), etc.) with fresh young cabbage starting spring and into summer and then with increasingly fermented cabbage going into winter. 

I hear Foxface will be serving a cabbage tasting menu for New Year’s Eve, exploring the brassica oleracea from its raw, recently dug and slightly grubby state through a series of iterations, climaxing with a Romanian celebration of cabbage stews.

I am just making this nonsense up because I am drinking cheap Spanish brandy. Thank you.