Currently Reading...

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante, a slim novel which didn't live up to the extravagant praise I've heard from Bukowski fans. Henry Miller and Hubert Selby did this kind of thing much better.

I'm currently reading Middlesex, has anyone else read it? I remember it being discussed elsewhere and people were criticizing the fact that it won the pulitzer prize. Maybe not Pulitzer Prize worthy

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me

Posted Images

Charles Riley's The Jazz Age in France, a very large format book with wonderful illustrations. Posters, paintings and photographs of the famous: so far, I have mainly been admiring peoples' clothes. I am reading a library edition, but I noticed it in Rizzoli's (priced accordingly).

Bored with Mating, by Norman Rush. Wouldn't want to hang out with teh narrator though it is an interesting story. She tries to hard to impress the reader.

Reading right now and wishing it would not end: The Namesake by Jumpha Lahiri. it won the pulitizer and I can see why. Flawless. Read this.

"the namesake" didn't win the pulitzer; her earlier collection "the interpreter of maladies" did. i've read the latter but not the former--a lot of people i know were very disappointed with it. but you may be interested to know that mira nair is in the process of adapting it for the screen. kal penn from the great "harold and kumar go to white castle" is slated to play gogol.

Bored with Mating, by Norman Rush.  Wouldn't want to hang out with teh narrator though it is an interesting story. She tries to hard to impress the reader.

I was unable to read this.

I am relunctant to finish it, but will keep it around when I have absolutely nothing to read on the commute. Should have been called Pretension

Bored with Mating, by Norman Rush.  Wouldn't want to hang out with teh narrator though it is an interesting story. She tries to hard to impress the reader.

I was unable to read this.

I've been told by those who loved it that it doesn't pick up until p. 100 +/-. I'm not that patient.

"the namesake" didn't win the pulitzer; her earlier collection "the interpreter of maladies" did. i've read the latter but not the former--a lot of people i know were very disappointed with it. but you may be interested to know that mira nair is in the process of adapting it for the screen. kal penn from the great "harold and kumar go to white castle" is slated to play gogol.

I love that movie; in college, I also was good friends with one of the writers. I can very easily see Kal Penn playing Gogol.

I couldn't wait to start reading "Pearl" by Mary Gorden when it came out and even now I have only read the first part (I ended up leaving it in CT by mistake) but, wow. I highly recommend, as does John Leonard in the NYTimes. Clickety

" I must dance around what happens next, while insisting that you read the book or go to hell."- John Leonard

I couldn't wait to start reading "Pearl" by Mary Gorden when it came out and even now I have only read the first part (I ended up leaving it in CT by mistake) but, wow. I highly recommend, as does John Leonard in the NYTimes. Clickety

" I must dance around what happens next, while insisting that you read the book or go to hell."- John Leonard

I can't wait to read that. I absolutely adored Spending.