Currently Reading...

Someone lent me "Straight Man" by Richard Russo. It is a campus satire typa thing, so far some parts have been laugh-out-loud funny, but I am having a hard time working up any desire to read past chapter 2.

Has anyone read "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs? That sounds like something I might like. Otherwise I'll just finish the Murakami back catalogue.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just finished Ask the Dust by John Fante, a slim novel which didn't live up to the extravagant praise I've heard from Bukowski fans. Henry Miller and Hubert Selby did this kind of thing much better.

I'm currently reading Middlesex, has anyone else read it? I remember it being discussed elsewhere and people were criticizing the fact that it won the pulitzer prize. Maybe not Pulitzer Prize worthy

Several of the pieces in Paris to the Moon appeared earlier as Gopnik's monthly Letters from Paris to The New Yorker. His use of adjectives to describe the weather, the neighborhood, etc impressed me

Someone lent me "Straight Man" by Richard Russo. It is a campus satire typa thing, so far some parts have been laugh-out-loud funny, but I am having a hard time working up any desire to read past chapter 2.

i loved that book, but several friends have told me it's a 'guy book'.

Being that I'm a total geek, I keep a journal with my thoughts on every book I read. According to my notes, I enjoyed this one. But, I'm a sucker for academic comedies/satires.

I really liked Straight man on first reading. It was recommended to me by a mentor of mine and I found it very funny. I recommended it to a couple of friends/colleagues and they liked it too. But funnily enough, I read it again and I don't think it stands up to a 2nd readiing. For one, those long intros that Russo does in italics really grate on me and the jokes didn't come off twice--but hey, still funny the first time.

Same in Empire Falls--the italics business--Just write in regular font, why not? The above said, I did really like Nobody's fool--novel and film. Russo does have a good sense of comedy.

He's good, not top-notch or anything like, I think.

Russo is top-notch. Try Mohawk, it is also quite good. He really has a feel for the ordinary people in the working-class towns of the Northeast U.S. HBO did a movie of Empire Falls with Paul Newman, Ed Harris, Aidan Quinn. It was pretty good.

Wow, that's a lot of responses for Russo. I might just be too stressed out about work & visitors the past few days. I will try and give it another chance this weekend.

Hilarious and horrifying I generally like, so maybe Burroughs will be my next book.

My first Russo, and I admit I was underwhelmed. Hubby seemed to like it better, so guajolote's comment about it being a "guy book" might have some truth.

Fly

Has anyone read "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs?

Simultaneously hilarious and horrifying. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

I really enjoyed it, and his book about being a drunk.

I read the first couple chapters of Running with Scissors last summer. It was too weird for me--too dysfunctional. But now that I think about it, it wasn't the dysfunctionality that bothered me, it was his hyper-stylized way of talking about it.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer's latest effort. I started it last night and read a great deal more than I meant to because it is un-put-down-able. Really funny, really sad. And different. Foer is a very talented writer.

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, Jonathan Safran Foer's latest effort. I started it last night and read a great deal more than I meant to because it is un-put-down-able. Really funny, really sad. And different. Foer is a very talented writer.

I really, really liked this book. Even more so than his first one.

Has anyone read "Running with Scissors" by Augusten Burroughs?

Simultaneously hilarious and horrifying. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone.

I really enjoyed it, and his book about being a drunk.

I read it on vacation this summer. I have Dry but haven't started it.

Good to know. Thanks.