omnivorette

Lupa

'Disclaimer'...I eat at Lupa alot,am a friend of the house...but tonight,damn;house made orecchiette with a short rib ragu and some bitter greens was everything a good pasta should ever be....good chew to the pasta,flavorful,well seasoned ragu,and nice contrast from the greens.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.Radicchio agrodolce with hazelnuts and croutons to start.A simple and wonderful meal,one of the best...

...tonight,damn;house made orecchiette with a short rib ragu and some bitter greens was everything a good pasta should ever be....good chew to the pasta,flavorful,well seasoned ragu,and nice contrast from the greens.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.Radicchio agrodolce with hazelnuts and croutons to start.A simple and wonderful meal,one of the best...

Playing on the traditional postcard message, "you had a wonderful time; wish I'd been there!"

I look forward to it someday.

.With a pinot nero from Alto Adige,even better.

Third time in a week I've seen a favorable reference to pinot nero from alto adige. I don't recall seeing more than one mention per year before this

I have seen "Alto Adige" alone more often this year than in my entire life. Things come and go.

Guest Aaron T
I have seen "Alto Adige" alone more often this year than in my entire life. Things come and go.

what about ramps and fiddlehead ferns?

As the interest and appreciation of Italian wines has grown,so has the availability of more regional wines in the U.S. and elsewhere...they aren't necessarily knock your socks off brilliant wines,but at a certain price point offer up something a little different.Alto Adige,Friuli,Valtellina...and on into Slovenia offer some good indigenous grapes and wines....so why not give them a try?

Yesterday a friend and I went to the "Whole Hog" lunch at Lupa. Pigs came from Violet Hill. It was a terrific meal and a really nice event, and for $75 (exclusive of tax and gratuity) I thought it was a really good deal. Here's the menu:

Amuse

Braised Pig Heart Bruschetta

Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut Drusian

(this was a nice amuse but didn't blow us away, flavors weren't particularly distinct)

~

Affettati

Selection of House Cured Meats

Pallagrello Bianco Terre Del Principe 2003

(included the best testa I've ever eaten)

~

Antipasto

Roasted Pig Belly with Pavoni Beans

Nora Le Baladin .

(Man this was a good course. Beautiful fatty pork, crisp skin, bursting with flavor, and the beans were a great contrast)

~

Insalata

Crispy Pig Tripe Salad

Lambrusco di Sorbara “Premium” Chiarli & Figli

(tangy greens topped with bite-sized pieces of tripe fried crispy in olive oil, fabulous)

~

Primo

Pig Liver Agnolotti with Aceto Balsamico

Montepulciano D’Abruzzo Il Feuduccio 2001

(rich, decadent, great balance of liver and sweetness in the sauce)

~

Secondo

Porchetta

Whole Roasted Pig with Traditional Condiments

Agramante Paolo Petrilli 2003

(served with perfect salsa verde, and roasted small round carrots, brussel sprouts and baby fennel)

~

Dolci

Crostata di Ricotta

Pork Lard Crostata with buffalo Ricotta

Passito Di Pantelleria Ferrandes 2001

(we went nuts for this dessert - it was a tart made with lard in the dough, topped with glorious ricotta and sprinkled with lemon thyme)

Yesterday a friend and I went to the "Whole Hog" lunch at Lupa. Pigs came from Violet Hill. It was a terrific meal and a really nice event, and for $75 (exclusive of tax and gratuity) I thought it was a really good deal. Here's the menu:

Amuse

Braised Pig Heart Bruschetta

Prosecco di Valdobbiadene Brut Drusian

(this was a nice amuse but didn't blow us away, flavors weren't particularly distinct)

~

Affettati

Selection of House Cured Meats

Pallagrello Bianco Terre Del Principe 2003

(included the best testa I've ever eaten)

~

Antipasto

Roasted Pig Belly with Pavoni Beans

Nora Le Baladin .

(Man this was a good course. Beautiful fatty pork, crisp skin, bursting with flavor, and the beans were a great contrast)

~

Insalata

Crispy Pig Tripe Salad

Lambrusco di Sorbara “Premium” Chiarli & Figli

(tangy greens topped with bite-sized pieces of tripe fried crispy in olive oil, fabulous)

~

Primo

Pig Liver Agnolotti with Aceto Balsamico

Montepulciano D’Abruzzo Il Feuduccio 2001

(rich, decadent, great balance of liver and sweetness in the sauce)

~

Secondo

Porchetta

Whole Roasted Pig with Traditional Condiments

Agramante Paolo Petrilli 2003

(served with perfect salsa verde, and roasted small round carrots, brussel sprouts and baby fennel)

~

Dolci

Crostata di Ricotta

(we went nuts for this dessert - it was a tart made with lard in the dough, topped with glorious ricotta and sprinkled with lemon thyme)

I'll pass the word to the chef/sous chefs-They are good friends,and they work their butts off to make these special meals work out well...

I'm jealous, got the email, wanted to go, but the trial calendar keeps me from committing to lunch that far out.

We did have dinner there Monday night at the bar - grat orechette special with lemon, butter, sausage and greens..

-j

Dolci

Crostata di Ricotta

That sounds fantastic. I'm jealous.

I love the orechiette special. I love it so much it sometimes interferes with me trying something new... Dinner at the bar is great. The bartenders are so sweet and they know their stuff.