San Francisco

To my amazement I haven’t been to SF since 2019. I used to visit once or twice a year. I have a very short trip coming up and I am looking for one fairly special occasion restaurant. Not a nosebleed expensive tasting, but nice.

Suggestions welcomed.

(In the city. I am not going to take a car somewhere.)

I take it you've already been to Kin Khao, but I don't think their even fancier sister establishment, Nari, was open when you were here last.  I've been hearing good things about it.

I'm not so up on the high-end SF dining scene, alas. 

Edited by StephanieL

6 hours ago, StephanieL said:

I take it you've already been to Kin Khao, but I don't think their even fancier sister establishment, Nari, was open when you were here last.  I've been hearing good things about it.

I'm not so up on the high-end SF dining scene, alas. 

Yes indeed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

how refreshing:

Setting the subjectivity of the human condition aside, I’m skeptical that an anonymous critic can remain that way for long, at least at restaurants with weighty reputations on the line. When Jonathan Gold and Adam Platt published photos of themselves after years in their roles, they both referred to the Kabuki theater of pretending the chef hasn’t recognized you while the staff pretends you’re receiving the same treatment as everyone else. How exhausting. Wouldn’t it be more productive for us all to take off our make-believe hats and address the awkwardness of the situation?

Back when restaurant reviewing actually meant something, I think anonymity was important.  If a critic came in anonymously, at 8 PM on a Friday or Saturday night when the restaurant was slammed, they probably were able to discern how well the kitchen was functioning, how the staff was operating, how good the food was, even if they were potentially spotted.

This will be my first SF trip since before COVID. My regular cocktail spot, Benjamin Cooper, didn't survive. I'd welcome recommendations for relative sedate alternatives, roughly within half an hour walk of Union Square.

22 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

This will be my first SF trip since before COVID. My regular cocktail spot, Benjamin Cooper, didn't survive. I'd welcome recommendations for relative sedate alternatives, roughly within half an hour walk of Union Square.

Welcome back! I recommend Local Edition on Market and 3rd, especially between the post-work crowd and the start of live music. 

After reserving Boulevard I realized I had eaten there before. It’s pleasant; the composition and plating of the dishes just feels a little old fashioned. 

Amuse: burrata with capers, endive and potato chip to scoop it. Sweetbreads and shrimp tempura, then quail with very large (presumably rehydrated) quail-stuffed morels. Cheese. Set price for three selected courses $119. Seemed reasonable but oh can I get the check up there with champagne, Cornas etc.

IMG_0061.jpeg

IMG_0062.jpeg

IMG_0063.jpeg

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

IMG_0066.jpeg

So we have a birthday dinner coming up there in a couple weeks - you think it's worthy?  We have always liked the room, and my plan for this upcoming trip is to do a bunch of classics.  We're doing Tadich and Zuni, for example. Was even thinking of Delfina, as we've had good meals there in the past and they recently (well, 2022) reopened.

And still on my mind...La Ciccia.

• Like 1

The room is nice, the service is sweet and I was reminded that the staff is really impressively diverse. The food will not excite you, but there's nothing wrong with it. Although it's plated and garnished differently, it made me think of Cecchi's. Solid work, you know?

(If I compared it with Foxface or Francie I would be unhappy, so I tried not to.)

Kayla Farrish's opening night tonight. Very excited. I saw an earlier version of this at La Mama last year.