Cocktail Recipes Tonight

StephanieL

• 2 weeks later...

I have a birthday coming up.  And a Big Life Change.  Which has me hopeful.  And scared shitless.

And we get an extra hour of sleep this night.

All of which convinced me I could treat myself to a nightcap after my Supper w/Wine, no matter how much work I have left for tomorrow.

There was one cocktail I was overwhelmingly in the mood for.  I just wrote it up in my newsletter, and I just wanted to drink one.

Vieux Carré

3/4 oz. Rye

3/4 oz. Cognac

3/4 oz. sweet Vermouth

1/2 oz. Bénédictine

2 dashes Angostura bitters

2 dashes Peychaud's bitters

Combine in cocktail shaker.  Stir.  Strain into an Old Fashioned glass over ice.

Garnish with a cocktail cherry.

What a great cocktail.

Wonder if I'll be able to stop at one.

Edited by Sneakeater
  • Like 1

Finishing up the last dregs of Fernet so I can buy another bottle, is there an alternative to a Hanky Panky?

By chance I stumbled over Don’t Give Up the Ship. Equal parts Fernet, Cointreau and sweet vermouth, twice as much gin (at least) and a dash of orange bitters. The sweeter ingredients are in the ascendant but the Fernet bites their ankles. 

So good I made it twice. It qualifies for the rotation.

I have master lists from a number of the early serious cocktail bars here in NYC (don't ask, please don't tell), and there are very few Fernet cocktails listed.

The two above are the ones which pop, though as with @Sneakeater's Vieux Carré, proportions tend to differ based on the bar and/or the bartender.

The recipe I show for the Don't Give Up the Ship (apparently via the Zig Zag) is:

2 gin; .5 Dubonnet; .25 Grand Marnier; .25 Fernet