Thanks, Marty - we did indeed drink the '87 at Tocqueville recently ("A 1987 Viña Tondonia could only enhance the meal; big strawberries on the nose, old silk on the tongue, sherry in a dusty leather armchair to finish") - marked up, of course, but not unkindly, maybe 100% and a little more (I don't see it listed on their web-site).

• Like 1
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is a hard one to write; I just seem to have been unlucky with this restaurant. Although it's in my neighborhood, various cancelled reservations over the months meant that last night was my first

Thanks, Marty - we did indeed drink the '87 at Tocqueville recently ("A 1987 Viña Tondonia could only enhance the meal; big strawberries on the nose, old silk on the tongue, sherry in a dusty leather

• 2 weeks later...

I'm completely sympathetic to your experience of Prune Wilfred and yet after innumerable visits it remains my favorite restaurant in New York. I'm a whore for acid, butter salt, not to mention offal and beef fat. What rubs you wrong does me right over and over again. I shunned Prune for well over a year because of the space concerns due to the way God made me (big) but for the sake of the fabulous menu which I would take detours just for the pleasure of reading, I decided to make the sacrifice. Now I just don't care about the room. I often end up at the bar and if I elbow a skinny designer or aspiring American Apparel model, well, sorry for them.

Additionally, there's a dish on the menu that may interest you. It's finely julienned radish heaped with trout roe dressed with brown butter. It's gorgeous first and then delicious.

• 8 months later...

New winner in the "worst food item ever" category - when sitting down for lunch at Prune you receive absolutely tasteless (canned?) pitted black olives and celery sticks that have been cut long ago to nibble on. Revolting.

This makes the rest of the meal seem not as bad, but it is really.

New winner in the "worst food item ever" category - when sitting down for lunch at Prune you receive absolutely tasteless (canned?) pitted black olives and celery sticks that have been cut long ago to nibble on. Revolting.

This makes the rest of the meal seem not as bad, but it is really.

The olives and celery plate, sometimes with carrot sticks as well, was a pretty standard steakhouse thing when I was a child. Put on the table with the bread. Maybe Hamilton is going for some ironic/nostalgic thing?