what beers are you drinking? (post-apocalypse)

AaronS

fat orange cat less more new england style double india pale ale - 8.4% abv, brewed at the 12% beer project in north haven. 12 percent llc has a lot of brands I don't really keep up with, the key food has a bunch of their stuff at the moment, this is the second freshest one after the omnipollo beer I had last time, and I didn't remember that the last thing I had from this one was terrible until I left the store. this is a straight up the middle north east ipa. it was made with citra and ahtamun hops, which is a combination you don't see much although I think ahtamun is used in beers like jai alai. this is pretty bitter with a simple citrus hop profile underneath - I would have have guessed this was mostly mandarina bavaria or one of those german hops that's never that interesting. meh.

I always assumed Krainerwurst was either German, cuz I first had it at the Ideal on East 86th Street, or Austrian, cuz I've had it most often at Café Katja.

Turns out, though, that it's Slovenian.  Which means the Gottscheers come by it honestly.

I ate my Krainerwursten in the Austrian manner (not that my Austrian forebears ate pork sausage), on buns with mustard.  A Bavarian sweet-and-sour cabbage dish on the side.

It seemed to me that a smoked Helles would be a good thing to drink with this.

Schilling Beer Co. Glimmer

Helles is a style of Lager made around Munich.  Vulgar American that I am, I usually find it insufficiently hoppy:  I like my Lagers razor-sharp.

Smoke the malt, though, and you get something that, while it drinks well enough on its own, becomes absolutely sensational with a smoked sausages.  This is one of those pairings that you eat and drink it and you just go, "right!"

Edited by Sneakeater

When I travel domestically, I like to get beer from tiny local breweries that I know won’t be available at home, even in my ginormous Total Wine. When I visited PA for Thanksgiving, I picked up two beers from Neshaminy Creek Brewing in Croydon: a collaboration with Rita’s Italian Ice (to have in the summer) and JAWN of the Dead Red Rye IPA. The latter is a copper-red, bitter-but-not-super hoppy IPA that clocks in at 6.5% ABV. Part of the proceeds from the sales go to The George A. Romero Foundation.

omnipollo eliphas double india pale ale - 8.1% abv, brewed at the 12% brewing project in north haven. this is a relatively new omnipollo recipe that uses a mix of "the juiciest hops they could find"  that can't be googled. this is pretty solid - there's a slightly thicker than average mouthfeel, more bitterness than usual, and the hop profile is something like tangerine pith and mango creamsicle. this is better than the last couple things I had at finback and so on. mildly recommended.

• 2 weeks later...

abomination brewing co love letters from hell milkshake style triple India pale ale with candy hearts, sprinkles, marshmallows, milk sugar, vanilla bean, strawberry, ice cream & artificial colors - brewed at the 12% brewing project in north haven, ct, 9.7% abv. I don’t know what the artificial colors are about, this looks like a typical hazy ne ipa. you wouldn’t really expect it to taste like one, but this more or less works like a triple ipa despite all of the adjuncts. there’s an artificial set of sweet vanilla and strawberry notes, followed by a little bit of hop burn and some lactose. this isn’t as well put together as the omnipollo or mortalis stuff but it’s more or less what I hoped it would be.

trillium fort point pale ale - 6.6% abv. trillium, as we all know, is one of the original north east ipa makers that's gone from being trade bait to legal distribution over the last ten years. I haven't had enough of their beer to get a real handle on it, the stuff I had on tap at their boston location wasn't great but I've enjoyed some of the cans I've had over the years. this is one of their early beers and I remember enjoying this last time I had it. it was also the freshest can at the place I picked this up. this one has citra and columbus and tastes mostly like the former - this is a really nice version of the really familiar mix of grapefruit, mango, and pineapple you get with citra that has the right amount of bitterness in the finish along with a hint of some vegetal stuff that's not great. middle recommended.