Bread

bloviatrix

The boy and I made challah last night. It's been so long since we've used the yeast I needed to make a recipe which required a pre-ferment to see if the yeast was still alive. He made the dough and did most of the kneading. I braided and baked since the rise finished after he was asleep. Sprinkled everything but the bagel seasoning on it.

IMG_5018.JPEG

Edited by bloviatrix
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't played with dough for a while, and the weather is just right for cranking up my oven.  So...

IMG_1366.thumb.jpeg.2a976948446f46d9b2783edd384ab8b7.jpeg

A pretty good focaccia. Ken Forkish same day pizza dough with added olive oil. Bulk fermented 6 hours, divided, then proofed in the sheet pan for an hour + before baking.  Crusty, yet thick and softish inside - perfect for slicing in half horizontally and maybe shoving a slice of warmed mortadella within.

Have a couple more dough balls that now, a day later, might be fun to try a pizza or two.  But focaccia is just so much easier for me (i.e. less messy).

• Like 4

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A woman who used to run a brewery with her husband outside of Boston until the pandemic put them out of business is now based in the Bay Area and running classes on how to make bread using brewers' spent grains.  N and I went to a class at Almanac Brewery in Alameda a couple of days ago and had a lot of fun.  I made chocolate-cherry and she made rosemary & sea salt.  You first tour the brewery and learn about the breadmaking process, and then make the dough, which gets its first rise in the car on the way home and at home while you're getting your oven and such set up.  Then you knead the dough, give it its 2nd rise, and bake it in a Dutch oven.  The breads are huge, but they came out quite well.  We took more spent grains home and froze them for later use (they go moldy very quickly, so you have to freeze them right away).

Grainbakers Breadmaking Classes at California Breweries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, StephanieL said:

.... make the dough, which gets its first rise in the car on the way home and at home while you're getting your oven and such set up.  Then you knead the dough, give it its 2nd rise, and bake it in a Dutch oven. 

This is brilliant!    Works for travel to friends, to a vacation house...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...