Micromanage my life

Diancecht

we’re in new york for several days and have lunch and dinner reservations at jean georges, koloman, frenchette, and others whose names are not coming to mind at the moment.

we’re seeing funny girl tonight and some like it hot tomorrow. where should we go have dinner tonight and tomorrow? our hotel is in the theater district. the view from our rooms are the pictures below.

hubby isn’t a fan of spicy food, otherwise he’s adventurous. and i have no such boundaries. $$& isn’t an issue but quality is. please share your thoughts when you can.

IMG_0066.jpeg

IMG_0067.jpeg

• 7 months later...

I am on a charmed streak with restaurant meals in New York City. Francie twice, Cafe Carmellini. It’s not usually like this (it’s usually like something I could have cooked better at home, hello chewy duck).

I am overdue for a return to Foxface, but where else should I go?

Based on a lunch earlier this year, the answer might be Le CouCou.

33 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

…but where else should I go?

How about Four TwentyFive, Vongerichten’s new place? If we were doing indoor restaurant dining, I would try it because Jonathan Benno is in charge of the kitchen.

2 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

I am on a charmed streak with restaurant meals in New York City. Francie twice, Cafe Carmellini. It’s not usually like this (it’s usually like something I could have cooked better at home, hello chewy duck).

I am overdue for a return to Foxface, but where else should I go?

Based on a lunch earlier this year, the answer might be Le CouCou.

I had a great meal at Little Mad a few weeks back.

6 hours ago, Wilfrid said:

Has anyone been to Wallse in living memory? 

Would you consider 2013 “living memory”? We had dinner there twice that year, one of those times with Bonjwing and the other with Dr. Michael Uzmann (aka “uhockey”). I don’t have to rack my brain to remember what we ate since I have photos on my Flickr of both meals. The food was really delicious, so it’s a crime we haven’t been back since then. 

Edited by rozrapp

On 4/29/2024 at 5:01 PM, Wilfrid said:

Has anyone been to Wallse in living memory? I just passed it which prompted me to look up the menu. Short rib goulash, venison, veal rack, schnitzel. I think I could find something there.

Jeez. Probably fifteen years, at least? They’re one of those places that when I hear them mentioned I’m always surprised they’re still around. I remember liking it the couple times I went but … I guess not enough to think of going back. Maybe there are enough schnitzel purveyors now that if I’m in that mood, I’ll go somewhere cheaper or closer. Maybe warrants a revisit. 

Speaking of, though neither cheaper nor closer: Was at Cafe Sabarsky the other day. Probably hadn’t been in nearly as long. Nothing to go out of one’s way for but if one happens to be seeing the Klimt exhibit, a pleasant lunch. 

4 hours ago, SethG said:

Maybe there are enough schnitzel purveyors now that if I’m in that mood, I’ll go somewhere cheaper or closer.

Have you been to Koloman? We haven’t. However, when Chef Markus Glocker took over the kitchen at McNally’s now closed Augustine, Glocker added a few Austrian dishes to the French menu. I had the schnitzel with potato salad, cucumber, and lingonberries. It was superb. It’s on the menu at Koloman. Several MFers, including @Wilfrid and @Diancecht have had the schnitzel there and could comment on it.

6 hours ago, rozrapp said:

Several MFers, including @Wilfrid and @Diancecht have had the schnitzel there and could comment on it.

The schnitzel is very good at Koloman, as is the salmon en croûte.

KolomanSalmonencroute02-09-24.thumb.jpeg.1a66e6f9a91bb599b8928fef986e6bdb.jpeg

And this dessert was great...

Kolomansouffle02-09-24.thumb.jpeg.c68dcb49e77370bf31b443a5a44043b0.jpeg

Souffle for two.  We rolled out.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We've been as well, with some friends, a couple of months ago.  I remember an excellent meal.  No pictures or notes taken.

Well, now I remember (see other thread).  And, I guess its now more than a couple of months ago.

Edited by Steve R.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:56 AM, rozrapp said:

Have you been to Koloman? We haven’t. However, when Chef Markus Glocker took over the kitchen at McNally’s now closed Augustine, Glocker added a few Austrian dishes to the French menu. I had the schnitzel with potato salad, cucumber, and lingonberries. It was superb. It’s on the menu at Koloman. Several MFers, including @Wilfrid and @Diancecht have had the schnitzel there and could comment on it.

We have not. I was somewhat interested, but admittedly Batard was one of those places that I always thought was fine but never really exciting so maybe it just never really stuck on my radar. That pic of the salmon, however, may have reinvigorated that interest.