New York closings

Wilfrid

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If I remember right, @SethG, years ago you and your cat decided you preferred Muncan's.  That's one of the few things keeping me going through this trying time.  (The other main thing being that Ridgewood Pork Store is closer to my new apartment anyway.)

Edited by Sneakeater

On 1/28/2024 at 11:57 AM, Sneakeater said:

If I remember right, @SethG, years ago you and your cat decided you preferred Muncan's.  That's one of the few things keeping me going through this trying time.  (The other main thing being that Ridgewood Pork Store is closer to my new apartment anyway.)

IIRC, Morscher’s won Battle: Head Cheese but Muncan’s remained the overall favorite, for the variety, but also because that duck (or goose, in season) pastrami inevitably tilts everything in their favor. 

On 1/29/2024 at 8:29 PM, Sneakeater said:

Goose pastrami!  I'm fucking THERE!

The goose they only make during a particular season or for a particular holiday, I can’t remember which/when. But the year-round duck version ain’t nothing to sleep on. 

Edited by SethG

Owners blamed the lack of foot traffic at the food hall

Upstairs, you can hardly squeeze through the crowds (I admit I am usually there on Saturday or Sunday, maybe it's empty early in the week).

12 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Upstairs, you can hardly squeeze through the crowds (I admit I am usually there on Saturday or Sunday, maybe it's empty early in the week).

It's certainly quieter during the early part of the week, but never dead like downstairs often was/is.  Not that there hasn't been some turnover upstairs either, but I think that was to be expected.

You'd certainly think Nom Wah and Veselka and Burgers and Ippudo would draw some people, but no...

16 minutes ago, Orik said:

Compare how Dickson's (and all of Chelsea Market downstairs) did coming out of covid - could easily have met the same ends.

I think Chelsea Market is a much larger tourist draw, with the building it's in and with its location. Let's fact it: Essex and Delancey, or god forbid Broome and Norfolk, is not exactly 9th Avenue and one block away from 14th Street. Chelsea Market had also been well-established when covid hit; the market line basically opened and then god covided.

5 hours ago, backyardchef said:

I should have gone there at least once, but haven't been to a food hall in about 5-6 years. 

It’s still there; the good stuff is just upstairs and it’s called Essex Market.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Anthony Bonner said:

The midtown urbanspaces are also dying. And the issue is once the traffic starts to decline it just accelerates the process 

Tell us about it.   San Francisco's downtown (Financial District and Union Square) is a wasteland since "work from home" drained the offices and online shopping sapped retail foot traffic.