'Insanely stupid' and profitable?

Canora has to continuously hustle — especially since his rent at Hearth was hiked 65 percent last year. He needed more money, quick...he figured he'd wind up making a few extra hundred dollars a day, max. Instead, while declining to offer specifics, he says he's making "a lot more than that".

Kenji's complaint caused me to wonder where the line is between stock and bone broth [going by the definitions SobaAddict cited], especially given Brodo's bone broth is made 'by boiling bones, meat, and seasonings'.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Another lovely meal and evening at Hearth.   Two new things on the menu which I enjoyed very much: a rich and also delicate beef consomme, with asparagus and....marrow! Delicious. Also, a salad of f

In my opinion, the level of satisfaction Hearth offers to many diners may in part be a function of the extent to which more overtly ambitious restaurants in New York are anti-climactic disappointments

What you can forget after living here for a while is that the perfect preparation of fish is only one component in creating a great dish. It stands on its own, but it would be better with the puree of

I don't understand Kenji-Alt's complaint. Canora never said it was a new idea. He never claimed that his bone broth was anything other than what it is.

I'm not going to travel all the way down to the East Village for a cup of \gravy, but if I were in the neighborhood on a cool or cold day, I'd be happy to try some. If we drink hot coffee or hot tea, then why not this?

I don't understand Kenji-Alt's complaint. Canora never said it was a new idea. He never claimed that his bone broth was anything other than what it is.

I'm not going to travel all the way down to the East Village for a cup of \gravy, but if I were in the neighborhood on a cool or cold day, I'd be happy to try some. If we drink hot coffee or hot tea, then why not this?

Agree.

And you can't blame Marco if others decide to steal borrow appropriate his idea instead of coming up with new revenue generators on their own. [i was going to say blame the sheep, not the shepherd, but Marco isn't the one guiding them along that path, so that's a bad analogy. Oh well.]

I perhaps didn't look at the link very closely, but isn't this like people complaining that Shake Shack stole the fast-food burger idea, or that imitators of Shake Shack are stealing in turn?

Don't really get it.

But he's the first guy to sell it by its Italian name, so that's worth at least a 50% price premium. Kind of like Starbucks.

Imagine if La Côte Basque has been called The Basque Coast. Who would've gone there?

I don't begrudge Marco any money, but there is something discreditable in claiming that broth made from bones is some special thing.

I just didn't see where Marco says anything like that, but maybe I'm missing something.

"The way bone broth is sold to people is you take bones and boil them for a long time, and the implication they're making is that people weren't doing this before," López-Alt argues. "It's intentionally misleading customers into thinking they're getting something very special."

Marco is really implying that anywhere?

ETA: And he's being criticized for calling it "broth"? :o

But he's the first guy to sell it by its Italian name, so that's worth at least a 50% price premium. Kind of like Starbucks.

Imagine if La Côte Basque has been called The Basque Coast. Who would've gone there?

It'd be like if Canora had called Il Focolare Hearth.

'Insanely stupid' and profitable?

Canora has to continuously hustle — especially since his rent at Hearth was hiked 65 percent last year. He needed more money, quick...he figured he'd wind up making a few extra hundred dollars a day, max. Instead, while declining to offer specifics, he says he's making "a lot more than that".

Kenji's complaint caused me to wonder where the line is between stock and bone broth [going by the definitions SobaAddict cited], especially given Brodo's bone broth is made 'by boiling bones, meat, and seasonings'.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to go and buy some broth... I wish him luck,rather than wishing him to lose the endless rent hike battle and go out of business. The hot summer will be the ultimate win/lose.

Maybe Marco will serve the broths over ice. It does require total defatting so they're not yucky, but he could thin them out so they don't jell (better yield). Or if the SLA won't get on his case, he can sell Bullshots.

I don't begrudge Marco any money, but there is something discreditable in claiming that broth made from bones is some special thing.

I just didn't see where Marco says anything like that, but maybe I'm missing something.

I went back to the first story on Grub Street. Canora didn't claim that his method of making broth was unique. He did, however, claim that it has special health benefits.

My God!” he [Canora)] says. “Twenty years of eating bread, drinking booze, smoking cigarettes, and working in kitchens really fucked me up in a big way.” Until quite recently, you see, Canora was not the epitome of good health. He’d been diagnosed as pre-diabetic, he was suffering from gout, his cholesterol was through the roof, and he was thirty pounds overweight. Now, at 45, having made some major changes in his diet, he says he’s in the best shape of his life. And he attributes not a small part of this reversal of fortune to daily doses of the broth he’s always made as a base for Hearth’s soups and stocks.

That first Grub Street story didn't quote Canora directly on broth's health benefits but he later tweeted about them -

17911713695_008d2d1781_o.jpg

I can't wait for Alex Stupak to weigh in on the way his tacos slow down aging.