Uniquely great shops in NYC

Simon

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 5:50 PM, small h said:

Di Palo's

I was quite low on Parmigiano, and went to my favorite place specifically to restock.

They usually have 2 varieties, as they did last week.  One was a winter, younger cheese, not quite as crumbly as many are used to; it was delicious.  He also had on offer Vacche Rosse, 24-month cheese, produced with the milk from a heritage breed of red cow (and quite delicious as well).  

Interestingly, he had priced both the same - I even questioned the pricing, thinking maybe they'd made a mistake, but they had not. 

They were both under $25/lb. The vacche rosse is like a loss leader.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 10:12 PM, Orik said:

The Japanese fish counter @ Wegman's. Use it while it lasts, these are some terrific fish at very fair prices. 

The chidai (crimson sea bream) I got today from Wegman's was outstanding.

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, MitchW said:

I posted the La Boîte purchase I made over on the mail order topic, but I guess he also has a tiny brick and mortar shop?

He does. It's on 11th Ave opposite DeWitt Clinton park. I've been several times. It's nice because you can sniff sample blends.

Living within walking distance of spice shops is not the blessing it may seem, speaking as one who can walk to the excellent Curio Spices from his cosmopolitan Cambridge pad, and to La Boîte from his country pad in Hell's Kitchen. You may walk to these shops and sniff, but every sniff leads to a buy. Quickly reaching into my cabinets (and not even their innermost recesses) I find the never-opened:

LeB1.jpg.68c89f666ba77544ebb8b14a8b67a418.jpg

among others. Then the opened once or twice for a pinch: 

LeB2.jpg.b7a9893b611b0d46a04b740d2d8fa3ff.jpg

and then the more-often used:

LeB3.jpg.b1752f4b311fed3697c8a8014edf118d.jpg

The Lucknow Fennel, as you can see, has flown too close to the sun of my gas flame.

Edited by relbbaddoof
  • Like 1

Probably a few people here who know what this is...

image.thumb.png.82c5f9b1789592ae8de39ddeb56aca79.png

The first time I had one of these, a friend had brought me a six-pack, on her visit from London.  Then, I'm walking around the neighborhood, and spot this place on Broome Street!

https://shieurasia.com/

It was in another (unknown to me) location previously, and now practically around the corner!