What cookbooks have you bought lately?

bloviatrix

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, StephanieL said:

I just got Eater: 100 Essential Restaurant Recipes from the Authority on Where to Eat and Why It Matters.  While all of the recipes could ostensibly made by a home cook, some of them are insanely complicated.  Interesting to read, though.

The sample read on Amazon reads straightforward enough albeit all from the "brunch", aka most boring section of the book.     What raises my hackles are chef recipes that require 25 ingredients and several hours of work to create a sauce that you're instructed to put in a squeeze bottle and make 7 dots around the plate.    "Whaaaaaat?"

23 hours ago, voyager said:

The sample read on Amazon reads straightforward enough albeit all from the "brunch", aka most boring section of the book.     What raises my hackles are chef recipes that require 25 ingredients and several hours of work to create a sauce that you're instructed to put in a squeeze bottle and make 7 dots around the plate.    "Whaaaaaat?"

Yeah, that might fly when you're making lots and lots of dishes that use that sauce.  Not so much when you're making the recipe once.

• Like 1

haven’t had a chance to look at a more recent edition lately, unfortunately.

the last time i saw a vintage book was in 2017 when we visited nola and i saw a copy of the second printing of the joy of cooking (1935) for $200. i ended up not buying it and i’ve regretted that ever since.

the store where i saw that book, the kitchen witch, has since closed. 😞

• 3 months later...

My wife had foot surgery a few weeks ago so been mostly home cooking and have made a number of dishes from Eric Ripert's Seafood Simple. Yes, a number of recipes/dishes are indeed quite simple but Ripert's insight about specific cooking techniques and type of fish is reaally worthwhile.  Highlight to date was his Salmon Strudel which we had New Years Eve. I've never cooked a protein in phyllo before so was a bit nervous but is cam out great. Very rich, I'd make smaller serving sizes next time.  Not a classic book but a useful one. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MitchW said:

I just got this one...an eBay buy:

image.thumb.jpeg.a7f205d411bca46a55e348acb6094730.jpeg

Looking forward to checking it out.

i have yet to make anything from it, but the beverage and the bread sections are the most interesting to me. i miss bread so much

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, splinky said:

i have yet to make anything from it, but the beverage and the bread sections are the most interesting to me. i miss bread so much

I did notice the beverage section when just leafing through it - looks good!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Went to a book discussion last night on the upper west side.  Ruth Reichl and Nancy Silverton (old friends) discussed Nancy's latest book:

image.thumb.jpeg.3329c547bc9842f2976e58302d5e942d.jpeg

I might have to bake a cookie or two.  (FWIW, Nancy is not impressed with using ingredients in baked goods which traditionally were not used in baked goods; e.g. matcha).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
4 hours ago, splinky said:

have been hunting for this and just in time for Black History Month

Malinda Russell, the First African-American Cookbook Author of “A Domestic Cookbook”

image.png.faed374199acccd615594c07de687fe4.png

I'm assuming there's a story behind how you managed to track down a copy. Will you share?