the lunch thread (cont.)

Diancecht

1 hour ago, Sneakeater said:

Up until today I had no idea there was such a thing as saury.

Thanks.

You're welcome! I think I first had it grilled as part of the lunch special at Her Name Is Han. This smoked one would make a killer onigiri.

Edited by small h

The Brazilian cafe around the corner from my office has opened up in the former Starbucks in our building, and the new space must be at least 3 times larger than the old once (with correspondingly higher prices).  For lunch today, I had one of their tapioca-flour crepes, filled with vegetable stew.

One reason I like to roast a whole chicken is for the leftovers.  So this version I did the other night, led to this:

IMG_1824(1).jpeg.0016a7a6e98f2e7b35f7642aaabead3f.jpeg

Chicken salad sandwiches on Pain d'Avignon's country bread. Potato salad with the leftover roasted red and yellow potatoes. Crudité and cornichons.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went on an ad hoc food crawl down 24th Street in the Mission with a small group of folks, so lunch was a mash-up of (shared) atol de elote and pan de elote, pastrami on rye, chocolate babka, pupusas, pizza, chicken pastelitos, suadero tacos, and very authentic chicharrones.

• 1 month later...

oyakodon (chicken and egg rice bowl); karashi sumisoae (asparagus with miso dressing); miso shiru; onigirishiba (pickled cucumber with ginger and perilla); and konasu no karashizuke (pickled eggplant with mustard paste). iced unsweetened green tea.

2D2AA8C3-D442-4D1B-B0F7-1F93996055DC.jpeg

014A0DCF-890A-4AFB-960D-348040569D0F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Lunch on the first day of Shavuot - Dorie Greenspan's Lower East Side Brunch Tart. Cream cheese, lox, onions, capers, tomatoes, and dill in a custard filling. I decided to try my hand at a yeasted tart dough.

IMG_6521.JPEG

• Like 1

In the East Bay, there are 2 dueling hot dog franchises: Casper's and Kasper's.  I believe the K version was the original, with the C version coming into existence due to a family feud.  We have a vintage Casper's in my town, complete with original sign, that is sadly closing next month due to the owner retiring (all of the stands are franchised now).  Since I was downtown today, my lunch was a chili dog.

• Like 1

we don’t have a dedicated thread for afternoon tea, so i’m posting this here.

hubby’s 66th birthday was a few days ago, so we celebrated this afternoon at a teahouse. there were some lovely sandwiches (cucumber/radish, turkey/sundried tomato, egg salad/mango curry) and blueberry-lavender scones with devonshire cream and strawberry jam.  some other hors d’oeuvres whose components escape me rounded out the menu, along with a tray of mignardises. i have included shots of the menu for your browsing pleasure.

dartealing lounge (470 3rd (bryant))

IMG_4039.jpeg

IMG_4040.jpeg

IMG_4041.jpeg

IMG_4042.jpeg

IMG_4044.jpeg

IMG_4045.jpeg

IMG_4046.jpeg

IMG_4050.jpeg

IMG_4038.jpeg

IMG_4037.jpeg

• Thanks 1