New York Times

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Saying the New York Times is just a newspaper, is like saying the Grand Canyon is:   1. A large hole in the ground 2. David Gest's pet name for the other Liza 3. Not as good as Le Canyon Grande

Rock 'n' Roll Casualty

that's homeland security trolling for terrorists.

Posted Images

I guess my point is that Posen is being relied on here, on a subject outside his realm, as a result of status rather than accredited expertise.  That seems like an irresponsible thing for a serious journal to do.  (I mean, it was bad enough when they made Frank Bruni their chief restaurant reviewer.)

It's in the Times Style Magazine, as one of a  series featuring designers cooking dishes meaningful to them.

I mean, you could take issue with the whole concept and the Style Magazine itself, but that's taking on a pretty big chunk of NYC's identity to dismiss, ya? 😀

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 6.18.27 AM.png

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, greenspace said:

It's in the Times Style Magazine, as one of a  series featuring designers cooking dishes meaningful to them.

I mean, you could take issue with the whole concept and the Style Magazine itself, but that's taking on a pretty big chunk of NYC's identity to dismiss, ya? 😀

Screen Shot 2021-04-01 at 6.18.27 AM.png

Points taken. I guess what irritates me is that we should pay attention to what this famous person cooks because s/he's famous, and not because s/he has any particular cooking expertise or skill. Whereas I would not be at all bothered by an article about what Chrissy Teigen's up to, food-wise, since she's established herself as source for recipes, despite having gotten famous doing other stuff.

On 3/31/2021 at 5:21 PM, Sneakeater said:

It's the way they present it:  that it takes someone like Zac Posen to know about this, a successful creative who's the son of an artist married to a high-powered lawyer.  Ordinary people, without such a privileged cultural and economic background and such a successful non-culinary career, could never have such knowledge or senstivity.  We should be paying attention to this dish because of Zac Posen.

I mean, how many people on MFF have mentioned cooking that exact dish or something very close to it over the last year?  (I certainly have.)

My birthday dinner 2019. Before the foie gras tacos and the osso buco.

1 hour ago, Behemoth said:

Do Zac Posen fans even eat carbs? 

They take one bite, push it around their plate and proclaim "they're full"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1