Rolling Stone

splinky

You know what I barf at even more than Disco Demolition Night?

The Clash fans throwing shit at Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five when the Clash chose them to open for them at Bond's in Times Square in the early '80s.

Of course, I'll bet NOW some of those racist pieces of shit are boasting they saw Grandmaster Flash back in the day.

Edited by Sneakeater
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, hollywood10 said:

“Maybe I should have gone and found one Black and one woman artist to include here that didn’t measure up to that same historical standard, just to avert this kind of criticism,” he said. “Which, I get it. I had a chance to do that. Maybe I’m old-fashioned and I don’t give a [expletive] or whatever. I wish in retrospect I could have interviewed Marvin Gaye. Maybe he’d have been the guy. Maybe Otis Redding, had he lived, would have been the guy.”

yeah. so, that's not really an apology

1 hour ago, splinky said:

yeah. so, that's not really an apology

What you quoted is from the NYT interview that got him into trouble. The apology part is this:

“In my interview with The New York Times, I made comments that diminished the contributions, genius, and impact of Black and women artists and I apologize wholeheartedly for those remarks,” he said in a statement given to The Hollywood Reporter. “The Masters is a collection of interviews I’ve done over the years that seemed to me to best represent an idea of rock ‘n’ roll’s impact on my world; they were not meant to represent the whole of music and it’s diverse and important originators but to reflect the high points of my career and interviews I felt illustrated the breadth and experience in that career. They don’t reflect my appreciation and admiration for myriad totemic, world-changing artists whose music and ideas I revere and will celebrate and promote as long as I live. I totally understand the inflammatory nature of badly chosen words and deeply apologize and accept the consequences.”

27 minutes ago, small h said:

What you quoted is from the NYT interview that got him into trouble. The apology part is this:

“In my interview with The New York Times, I made comments that diminished the contributions, genius, and impact of Black and women artists and I apologize wholeheartedly for those remarks,” he said in a statement given to The Hollywood Reporter. “The Masters is a collection of interviews I’ve done over the years that seemed to me to best represent an idea of rock ‘n’ roll’s impact on my world; they were not meant to represent the whole of music and it’s diverse and important originators but to reflect the high points of my career and interviews I felt illustrated the breadth and experience in that career. They don’t reflect my appreciation and admiration for myriad totemic, world-changing artists whose music and ideas I revere and will celebrate and promote as long as I live. I totally understand the inflammatory nature of badly chosen words and deeply apologize and accept the consequences.”

still not an apology. just word salad

there's an argument to be made that the white male artists he selected are in fact the ones who best represent the music he's talking about. of course, this is a completely tautological argument since the still ongoing definition of "rock" as a category to mean "the genres of guitar-centered rock predominantly made by white male artists" is a project rolling stone has always been central to. but to explain his myopia instead in terms of the inarticulacy of black and female musicians...chef's kiss!