What cookbooks have you bought lately?

bloviatrix

20 hours ago, splinky said:

this would be cool to own but $22k?

image.thumb.png.7562dd33ddd5b4b80db4f814788be1de.png

You can download a PDF of the scanned original edition from the Library of Congress for free.  Those of us who attended the Abby Fisher potluck yesterday used that PDF to make the recipes.

3 hours ago, StephanieL said:

You can download a PDF of the scanned original edition from the Library of Congress for free.  Those of us who attended the Abby Fisher potluck yesterday used that PDF to make the recipes.

thanks. i prefer actual books because BOOKS!

• 1 month later...

Bruno's Cookbook, by Martin Walker and Julia Watson.  

Bruno is the protagonist of a series of cozy mysteries by Walker.  In addition to his day job of policeman in a small town in Perigord, he coaches rugby and tennis, rides his horse, has romantic encounters and most of all, cooks mouth-watering meals for his numerous friends, at least once in each of the (so far) 18 books in the series. This beautifully illustrated cookbook collects recipes for some of the dishes that appear in the books, along with commentary written by Walker as if Bruno and others were real persons.  (The recipes were developed by Julia Walker, a British food writer who is Walker's wife.  They live part of the year in London and part in the village of Vezere, France.)

Edited by Lippy

I love Fuchsia Dunlop's Cookbooks. I bought her recent book on the history of Chinese Cooking. I am now absolutely convinced she is a PLA asset.  Its like 700 pages of "let me tell you why Chinese methods of cooking and eating are superior to all other cultures" with insane assertions about non-chinese traditions that show a real lack of knowledge.

I'm also pretty amazed it is a finalist for the KAL Cookbook of the Year award. I couldn't finish reading it. 

Edited by Anthony Bonner
  • Sad 1

I recently got a copy of The Jewish Holiday Table which was published by the Jewish Food Society and is a collection of recipes from Jews around the world. Tomorrow night I'm attending an event at the Streicker Center featuring Joan Nathan and the ticket price includes a copy of her new book My Life in Recipes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bloviatrix said:

I recently got a copy of The Jewish Holiday Table which was published by the Jewish Food Society and is a collection of recipes from Jews around the world. Tomorrow night I'm attending an event at the Streicker Center featuring Joan Nathan and the ticket price includes a copy of her new book My Life in Recipes.

I'm interested in that book.  I like her Jewish Cooking in America.  The current New Yorker has a short profile of Nathan.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bloviatrix said:

They have such great food related programming

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, StephanieL said:

Snared a paperback copy of the I Hate to Cook Book  (1965 Birds-Eye edition) for $2.99 at the local used book store.

Which catapulted Peg Bracken to worldwide fame!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...