foxface natural

Diancecht

Your point is very well taken. I still have trouble shaking free of the Le Bernardin paradigm. 

My daughter suggests, not unreasonably, that he trimmed the rating because diners need to be "adventurous." If so, I'm not sure he's right. Unadventurous diners could do well on cold and hot fish and tame versions of the pasta.

8 minutes ago, Wilfrid said:

Your point is very well taken. I still have trouble shaking free of the Le Bernardin paradigm. 

My daughter suggests, not unreasonably, that he trimmed the rating because diners need to be "adventurous." If so, I'm not sure he's right. Unadventurous diners could do well on cold and hot fish and tame versions of the pasta.

1st para. -- I think that deep down inside Wells is having trouble, too.

2nd para. -- I thought the same thing as your daughter.

6 hours ago, MitchW said:

I'd sure hate to have to share my percebes with anyone but Significant Eater.

As I've whined about before, the promised percebes had been delayed in transit and were not available when I visited. So I went to Aquabest and bought my own and cooked them at home, so there. I pressed H to try one, and thus created a monster. He tried to get me to give him half. Hah! No.

• Like 1

I was lucky enough to hop into someone's unable-to-be-used seat last night, so off a friend and I went, on up through/around the maddening throngs of the lower east side, for a nice 30-minute pre-dinner passeggiata to Avenue A and E. 12th.

I've got to start by saying the consistency of the cooking is pretty amazing; maybe even moreso than my first couple of visits over FN's first months. Needless to say, the consistency and excellence of the raw material sourcing has been and is great.

Both my friend and I wanted to eat lightly...HAH!  While we did stick with the lighter dishes on the menu (has the menu grown a bit over time in number of offerings?), we ordered a lot of food. Because you can't come here and not order the bread/pickles/butter to start, right?

Glidden Points were on point; I have to give a shout out to the mignonette, which is not an afterthought as it is on so, so many oyster platters...here, it's delicious. But my move is a dab of the proprietary E. Village hot sauce, and a squirt of lemon...all that I need.

Told you we went light...

IMG_0390.thumb.jpeg.357141e9921bc99dfa240d1bdbfd21dc.jpeg

What makes this salad so good?  Toasted hazelnuts, crispy sourdough croutons, shavings of Garrotxa, the dressing? Or the fact that you can be sure no one is sticking their hand into a box of mesclun and plopping it onto a plate; this salad is almost still alive - and it contains my favorite of the beautiful radicchios.

IMG_0392.thumb.jpeg.e6cde8aada2edf6d1b7a7a71bfd6997d.jpeg

The Montauk yellowfin tuna confit in that spectacular chraime sauce; served alongside (unpictured) is a splendid hunk of brioche with a squirt of fiery harissa. Taken together, quite a lovely dish.

IMG_0393.thumb.jpeg.6e72eef97b3772bf0999ebc41ccf936e.jpeg

Here's the saffron malloreddus with Maine uni. Maybe (or maybe not) a paean to the late, great La Ciccia's uni pasta dish - it's been mastered, and it's probably better, here. There's more uni, and the house-made malloreddus is insanely good. Great dish.

IMG_0394.thumb.jpeg.3418e25bfa3299d3f1afa84071f4f821.jpeg

How could we not have the Montauk fluke?  We couldn't, so we did...have the smaller one. Fuck - it's delicious. You see that collar at the bottom of the pic...MINE! The fish. The potatoes. The cooking. The olive oil and herbs.  Wow.

IMG_0396.thumb.jpeg.99688e248c9a6e10b9f7be8eb777f196.jpeg

The s/b classic Timut pepper and buttermilk gelato dish. Possibly with roasted plum (memory gets hazy by now). 

IMG_0397.thumb.jpeg.b00b2f9208d441b7949fedbc2b296cce.jpeg

Watermelon gelato and I'm thinking whipped feta and compressed watermelon. Thinking?

The service here is so lovely and genuine. The music isn't too loud. The ingredients and cooking are just what they need to be with said ingredients. Oh - the seasoning (i.e. salt) is spot on. What's not to like? (Well, getting in?)

One more thing, and I think Ori mentioned it above...the wine list is offering wines at more reasonable prices than any other restaurant in our fair city. A big shout out to that.

COMP DISCLOSURE: Those desserts. Some wine.

Edited by MitchW
  • Like 2

While the Helen Rosner piece was good, I did have an objection to her statement that "a meal as a whole can feel a bit repetitive. On one visit, Middle Eastern and African spices appeared over and over again, and fish preparations dominated the brief menu."  Would any critic object to European spices appearing again and again? Oh, wait, are there any? And what's the problem with fish being on top?

My experience is that there's plenty of variety on their short menu.

Edited by relbbaddoof
  • Like 1