foxface natural

Diancecht

Maine (bafun) uni is indeed more flavorful although California (Murasaki) uni is sweeter and has those beautiful large tongues. During early summer we got it from Mendocino county as Santa Barbara water was too hot, then switched to Maine when the season opened. 

As with oysters, if you want to understand the primary determinant of quality, buy yourself a nice tray from a reputable vendor and try a few tongues every day. Let me know how you feel about day seven. 

P.s. the guys in Maine also sell uni packed in water which is absolutely the best way to do it but makes it hard to ship 

41 minutes ago, Orik said:

P.s. the guys in Maine also sell uni packed in water which is absolutely the best way to do it but makes it hard to ship

like in seawater, packed whole/live, right?  Which has to be a pain in the ass and really expensive.

On 9/27/2023 at 10:13 PM, Orik said:

Not related to Foxface but i hear the next review is a re-review of a very popular ** place. I can't imagine it's a downgrade....

You mean the sandwich shop is reopening and getting bumped up to 2 stars? Congrats!

we had a fantastic dinner at foxface on saturday. i hope to write it up in some detail in the next week or so on the blog but in the meantime you can look at the pictures on my insta.

it was also great to chat with ori and sivan during the meal. and we also met simon and the flon who were at the counter as well.

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 2:35 PM, mongo said:

we also met simon and the flon who were at the counter as well.

When I eat there I often wonder which luminaries are at the counter. Would it cost you so much to reveal yourselves to me? @MitchW could spit in my drink, or @sneakeater could threaten to horsewhip me on the steps of my club (Planet Fitness, in case anybody wants to know). But, no, everybody is unfailingly polite and studiously well behaved, including the central European actor who began the interaction by telling me that she was "kind of a big deal in my country".

• Haha 1